El Vaquero Receives New Cameras Thanks to College Foundation

Students, faculty expressed thanks for the new technology, which helps put program on the map

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hayk Rostomyan is pictured in this photo taken by a photojournalism student practicing his craft.

Dylan A. Bryant / Staff Photographer

Dylan A. Bryant / Staff Photographer

Dylan A. Bryant / Staff Photographer

Marian Sahakyan and Reut Cohen

It’s been a year of rapid change in the Journalism Program at Glendale Community College, which has presented innumerable opportunities for students. Most recently, the Glendale College Foundation approved a grant for the Journalism Program and El Vaquero that was used to purchase five new DSLR Canon cameras that has assisted photo journalism and news production classes alike in getting higher quality photos.

“I greatly appreciate what the Foundation does at GCC,” said Terri Thuente, an adjunct photojournalism instructor whose class is tasked with taking photos for the school paper. “Students can’t afford these cameras.” Thuente, whose students check out the cameras, added that the new equipment help in getting better photos for sports and campus event shots. “Students get a lot better work from this equipment.”

The mission of the Journalism Program at Glendale Community College prides itself on exposing students to print, digital and broadcast elements of modern journalism.

“I honestly love it!” said Hayk Rostomyan, who is senior production manager with El Vaquero and TV production major. “These cameras allow us to record high quality videos in 16:9 aspect ratio and are very user friendly, which helps in training newer students coming on board to the paper. The microphones also allow for better audio in interviews. Just this semester, we have recorded multiple broadcast segments and podcasts that we feature in QR codes within our newspaper.”

Over the summer, students began producing work that went into a Fall 2018 special issue of Insider Magazine. New camera equipment allowed the magazine’s staff photographer to take high resolution photos, thereby showcasing the best version of student work. Learn more about the Journalism Program at bit.ly/GCCJournalism.

The Foundation was launched in 1983 when members of the community sought to establish a charitable organization to support the college’s facilities and its programs.

The Foundation’s $11 million endowment funds scholarships, facilities and programs.

Donate to the Foundation at bit.ly/GCCFoundation.

Marian Sahakyan, Editor-in-Chief

Growing up in a big family of journalists and writers, Marian developed her love for writing and reporting since early childhood. She is often found in...

• El Vaquero Receives New Cameras Thanks to College Foundation

News

Construction Incident Causes Two Injuries

News

Wildfires Wreak Havoc on California

• News

Students Complain About Parking Policing

News

5 Tips to Mitigate Student Stress

News

Some Call for Expanded DSPS Services

• News

Newsroom Raises Funds, Gathers Goods for Food Pantry

News

City of Glendale Hosts First Ever Gun Buyback

News

Campus Evactuated Due to Gas Leak

News

Serving Up Ice Cream, Nitrogen-Style

• News

DACA Controversy Continues