Cheerleading Returns to GCC

In Fall 2018, the Cheer and Song team finally made their comeback

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheerleading Returns to GCC

GCC’s Cheer & Song team members for 2018.

Kylie Shannon / Staff Photographer

Kylie Shannon / Staff Photographer

Kylie Shannon / Staff Photographer

Kylie Shannon, Staff Writer

After a decade, cheerleading has made its big return into Glendale College’s athletic roster. GCC’s womens’ sports range from all types, such as basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball etc. With the different varieties available, it is refreshing to experience what each sport has to offer.

In an interview with El Vaquero, Louie Escoto, the head cheer and song team captain discussed the history tied to GCC to begin with. Escoto mentioned that the initial program was canceled over 10 years ago, due to lack of funding, and unfortunately was never brought back until this semester.

This fall, however, things changed and students were once again given the opportunity to try out and join the team. The requirements to join are simple, anyone is eligible as long as they attend GCC. In addition, both males and females are encouraged to join. As for the process, tryouts are held and those who make the cut get placed on the team. Escoto said that they plan on holding tryouts every summer.

The time commitments are weekly mandatory practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:15 to 6:30. From warm up stretches, to formations, to rehearsing full-on dance routines, co-captains Escoto and Celine Voskanian are there to ensure that everything is run smoothly.

The club is centered around a Jazz technique known as “Pirouette,” hence the team being referred to as a Cheer/Song Team. This technique goes far beyond basic motions and involves coordinated leaps and spins. Escoto went on to detail that the club will also place an emphasis on being a song leader, not just a cheerleader.

Initially, 23 students signed up for tryouts. Currently, there are only 16 full-time committed students to the club. This number will increase as the club gains more recognition throughout campus, as of now, the reconstruction of the club is still in the works. The team remains hopeful to perform at future sports events and represent the college at competitions.

Currently, GCC’s cheer and song team is only being acknowledged as a “club,” but the captains have high hopes that more people will join in the following semesters. That may lead the college to recognize this club as a class.

The cost of being involved is $10, which will also cover pom-poms. Their uniforms are vibrant red, gold and white jerseys symbolizing the college’s colors. Escoto and Voskanian are currently rehearsing for football and basketball teams, as well as rallies that the school will hold.

Kylie Shannon, Staff Writer

Born and raised in sunny Los Angeles California, Kylie Shannon plans to earn a degree in Public Relations, Journalism. She is currently on her 3rd year...

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

A Primer of How Christmas Came to Be

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

Revive Your Skin in One Week

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

100-Plus Years of Hard Work and Pride

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

Young Broadcaster Speaks to Glendale Students

• Features

Channeling Your Inner Child

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

A Visit to the Bite Beauty Lip Lab

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

An English Instructor’s Advice

• Cheerleading Returns to GCC

Features

Los Angeles Bicycle Friendly Movement

• Features

Bringing Latin Heritage to Pasadena

Cheerleading Returns to GCC