“Paranormal Activity 2” Continues the Saga…

“Paranormal Activity” (2007), written and directed by Oren Peli, was an enormous hit and now the sequel, directed by Todd Williams, answers questions that arose from the original film.

Williams didn’t use a hand-held camera during the film, for the benefit of those who were a little motion sick from watching the first “Paranormal Activity.”

A security system was installed in the family’s home because of what they thought was a break-in. So the footage came from a fixed security camera.

The storyline is generally the same as the original, only this time the demon was after the baby before the final twist.

There is baby Hunter Rey (William and Jackson Prieto), his mother Kristi (Sprague Grayden) and father Daniel (Brian Boland).

There is also a teenage girl named Ali(Molly Ephraim) who could pass as the mother’s younger sister. It isn’t until Ali calls Daniel “Dad,” that the audience realizes she’s his daughter. Later on, Ali reveals that her mother is dead, which explains why Kristi is her step-mother.

It is unclear at the beginning if the family is related to Katie or Micah from the first film. All of a sudden, there’s a poolside gathering with the family, Katie and Micah. Kristi and Katie are sisters and “Paranormal Activity 2” is based on the events that occurred before, during and after the first film.

So why is the demon after the baby?

Apparently, the sisters’ ancestors made a deal with the devil in exchange for the first-born son in their family, who is Hunter. The only way to defer the demon is to send it after another family member. The family’s religious nanny Martine (Vivis Cortez) directs the demon towards Katie to protect Hunter.

Using the intro scene from “Paranormal Activity” was the perfect vehicle for tying the facts together.

As far as locations go, all the scenes are still shot within the house. The same clips play over again so that the audience will feel familiar with the home and feel uncomfortable when things were out of place.
Special graphics weren’t really needed. A frightening moment is when the baby is pulled around in his crib without a visual source. The same thing happens when Kristi is dragged and suspended in the air.

The lighting was very dark and the eerie black light gives the film a supernatural effect.

The suspense is well organized. There is a ghostly silence before the attacks. Loud footsteps, nervous breathing, and nightmare-worthy screaming make hearts race.

There is a particular scene in which everyone’s eyes bulge wide-open and their jaws drop. There is at least five seconds of screaming.

“Paranormal Activity 2” is a great thriller. Aside from the overly delayed explanation of character connections, the story tied in very well with the original movie.

Runtime: 1 hr. 31 min. Rated: R for some language and brief violent material.

Vanessa Duffy
Vanessa Duffy, staff reporter
I’m a nerd. I like to read, write, and take long walks on the beach. My writing inspiration derived from the elementary school teachers that I despised, or so I thought I did at the time. I was instructed to re-write the same essays countless times until I got it right. “Back in my day,” we didn’t type and save documents on a computer for quick revisions. No, this play-time deprived 8-year-old had to re-write entire stories by hand.

The following year I was a writing perfectionist and critiqued my essays in a manner that may be classified as obsessive compulsive.

Over the years the basic stories teachers assigned bored me and I thrived for a challenge. My Pandora’s box of creativity was unleashed ranging from comedic-satire to the emotional “oh my god my puppy was run over.”

Writing is definitely my favorite hobby. I say hobby rather than career because I don’t want the stress of “story in exchange for food” to skew my passion. I have a passion for many things including law, environmental activism, and the ever popular world peace. I consider them the blood-pumping ventricles in my heart and I divide my time and talents to all of them.

I’ll conclude with… One day I will change the world.