RAMTIN JAMSHIDI

GCC Sports Roundup

Men’s Soccer

The Glendale squad had an impressive showing against Santa Barbara Tuesday with a 3-1 win.

The first goal came from Alan Gonzalez in the middle of the first half. The Vaqueros dominated the ball and went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

The next goal came from Jose Martinez in the first minutes of the second half. Another goal a few minutes later by Milton Galindo gave Glendale a 3-0 lead.

“We are playing better as a unit,” head coach Joe Agoston said. “I can’t really complain, our attitude is great.”

Santa Barbara did score in the final minute of the game, but the goal didn’t make a difference ending the game at 3-1.

The next opportunity to catch the team in action is today at the Glendale Sports Complex at 2 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

Jorge Mena’s team lost 5-2 at L.A Pierce College Tuesday making them 3-3-2. This came after a big 3-0 win against Canyons Oct. 3.
Glendale was up 2-1 when they scored a goal on themselves and the game got out of hand from there.

“We just ran out of gas,” head coach Jorge Mena said. “We played well but after we scored on ourselves we broke down physically and mentally.”
The next match comes against Santa Monica College at the Glendale Sports Complex Friday at 4 p.m.

Cross-Country

The Glendale men won the Bakersfield Invitational Oct. 3, making it four in a row. The Vaqueros finished the four-mile race with 54 points. Cerritos came in second with 85 points and third place was awarded to Antelope Valley with 90.

The Glendale women came in third in the five-kilometer race with 81 points. Glendale almost took second, but Bakersfield took second by a hairs width, with 80. First place went to Ventura with 56.

The men had an impressive individual showing as Humberto Espino came in second in 21:34, Chris Snyder finished in 22:11, good for eight. Omar Limon came in 12th with 22:36. Patrick O’Neil was 15th in 22:49 and Raymundo Vasquez was 17th at 23:02.

Pilar Delgado ran her way into first place in 18:25, for the women. Itzel Vargas was fourth at 18:36, Sandra Prado was seventh at 19:22, Julia Flores came in at 29th at 22:04 and Megal Gleeson was 47th at 23:02.

The next chance for fans to catch the team is at the Western State Conference meet No. 1 today at 3 p.m. at Allan Hancock.

Volleyball

Glendale continued its winless streak in the pre-season against Antelope Valley falling 0-5 in three games Oct. 3 30-16, 30-26 and 30-28. They also lost last Oct.1 to Barstow in four games, 31-29, 30-16, 25-30 and 30-26. In the game against Barstow, Amanda Martin had six kills and Tamirah Washington had five. Jocelyn Abad had 11 assists in the same game.

The coaching staff has confidence that the Vaqueros will pick it up as the season continues.

“I can say the girls are working very hard,” head coach Yvette Ybarra-Cephus said. “By mid-season we’ll start clicking.”

GCC Sports Roundup