JAMMIE SALAGUBANG

Joof Is Elected President of AS

Henan Joof was elected president of the Associated Students of GCC in the cabinet elections held on Tuesday and Wednesday.

President Joof and Vice President Ani Panossian both won thier positions without competitions as they competed as sole candidates for their spots.

Joof, 22, political science major said, “I was amazed that I didn’t get any competition. I expected a lot of competition from other qualified people on campus.” Despite the lack of challenge for these two positions, deciding who is the better candidate can be a daunting task.

Elections Commissioner Hala Shamas, 19, business major, said that the campaigning has been “pretty competitive, but I think everyone will get something out of it. For the people that have been working hardest, it’ll pay off at the end.”

The dedication of the other elected members’ hard work showed in the close number at the poll closure and with the announcement of the winners:

• Andre Manukyan, vice president of finance.
  • Edit Keshishyan, vice president of campus activities.
  • Tzoler Oukayan, vice president of campus relations.
  • Arin Dersarkissian, vice president of campus organizations.
  • Senators of Administration: Elizabeth Arutyunyan, Arbie Martirosyan and Taghui Nazoryan.
  • Senators of Finance: Norvik Baghoomian, Sylvia Ghazarian, and Elizabeth Khodzabashyan.
  • Senators of Campus Activities: Roberto Dawidowski, Kristine Jegalian and Vagarshak Ovakyan.
  • Senators of Campus Relations: Nicole Abranian, Abeer Jaradeh and Ruzanna Margaryan.
  • Senators of Campus Organizations: Hirono Enami, Sevak Hakopyan and Narine Tadevosyan.

According to elections committee member Selin Nazarian, 19, philosophy major, they saw a high number of voters and had a “great turnout.”

The total number of ballots cast was 1, 281.

Some students viewed these elections as practical lessons for the future.

“Later in life we will be voting for presidents and vice presidents and so on, “said voter Roxana Quintanilla, 18, industrial engineering major.

“We have to learn to know the person we’re voting for because we don’t want to vote for someone who doesn’t understand the people and their needs.

“If we don’t choose the right candidates, we may not be better than we are now. If people hadn’t chosen Gov. Gray Davis, I seriously think that we would organizations; Arin Dersarkissian.

Senators of administration: Elizabeth Arutyunyan, Arbie Martirosyan and Taghui Nazoryan.

Senators of finance: Norvik Baghoomian, Sylvia Ghazarian, and Elizabeth Khodzabashyan.

Senators of campus activities: Roberto Dawidowski, Kristine Jegalian and Vagarshak Ovakyan.

Senators of campus relations: Nicole Abranian, Abeer Jaradeh and Ruzanna Margaryan.

Senators of campus organizations: Hirono Enami, Sevak Hakopyan and Narine Tadevosyan.

According to elections committee member Selin Nazarian, 19, philosophy major, they saw a high number of voters and had a “great turnout” this year.

“Later in life we will be voting for presidents and vice presidents and so on,” said voter Roxana Quintanilla, 18, industrial engineering major.
    “We have to learn to know the person we’re voting for because we don’t want to vote for someone who doesn’t understand the people and their needs.”

“If we don’t choose the right candidates, we may not be better off than we are now. If people had not chosen Gov. Gray Davis, I seriously think that we would have been better off,” she said.

• Activate Search
    Joof Is Elected President of AS