The Daily Texan Online" />

Woods wins Buick Open 2 under

GRAND BLANC, Mich. – Tiger Woods warmed up for the PGA Championship with a win.

Woods shot a 2-under 70 Sunday to win the Buick Open by four shots at 17 under. It was his 33rd PGA Tour victory and the fourth in his last eight starts.

Esteban Toledo, who began the final round one stroke behind Woods, stayed with the world’s best golfer through 12 holes, but then collapsed with three straight bogeys.

Toledo shot a 1-over 73 to finish at 13 under, tied for second with Mark O’Meara (68), Brian Gay (68) and Fred Funk (71). It matched Toledo’s best finish.

Woods insisted he was at Warwick Hills to win and not just practice for the fourth major. He opened with a 67, shot a season-best 63 on Friday and a 71 Saturday.

Although he missed a chance to win the Grand Slam with his 28th-place tie at the British Open three weeks ago, Woods has an opportunity to do something no other golfer has beginning Thursday at Hazeltine in Chaska, Minn.

Woods, who won this year’s Masters Tournament and U.S. Open, will be the first to win three majors in a year twice if he wins the PGA Championship. Ben Hogan did it in 1953 and Woods, who has won seven of the last 12 majors, did it two years ago.

He can also be the first player to win a major after winning a tournament the previous week since Sandy Lyle won the Greater Greensboro Open and the Masters in 1988.

Woods is 25-2 in PGA Tour events when leading or tied for the lead after 54 holes. Since 1958, just 16 of 38 players who have at least shared the lead after 54 holes have won the Buick Open.

Woods and Toledo were essentially engaged in match play while the rest of the field failed to threaten them, until the former professional boxer bogeyed Nos. 13-15.

Woods is playing the week before a major for the fourth time, and all of those tournaments have been the Buick Open, which he won for the first time.

Phil Mickelson, who will have another chance to win his first major at Hazeltine, had an erratic week. He made 24 birdies, 10 bogeys and three double bogeys to finish in a tie for 29th at 8 under.

Defending PGA Championship winner David Toms (71) finished tied for 10th at 11 under.

Copyright The Daily Texan

Woods wins Buick Open 2 under