Asian Night Market Sparkles During AAPI Heritage Month

The recent Asian Night Market hosted by Glendale Community College’s Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Community was a vibrant celebration of AAPI Heritage Month, drawing an enthusiastic crowd of over 80 attendees. The event was a lively tapestry of culture, food, and entertainment that showcased the rich diversity of the APIDA community.

One of the standout features of the night was the array of food vendors offering a variety of dishes. Attendees had the chance to sample flavors from different Asian cuisines, creating a culinary journey that was both delightful and also educational. The market also featured various activities that engaged visitors and provided insight into APIDA traditions and customs and even included programs/clubs in which members of the community were involved this year.

Entertainment was a major highlight of the evening. Special guest artists included the renowned Filipina rapper Ruby Ibarra, the musical duo Astralogik, Ian Castillo, OUIDA, and the talented Vince A. Their performances, along with those of the student artists and the dynamic group Balikbayans by the music group BOLO, captivated the audience and added a special touch to the event. Ruby Ibarra’s powerful spoken words and songs resonated deeply with many, leaving a lasting impact.

Mai Torres, a first-year student at GCC shared her excitement about the event. “Unforgettable is the word I would say if I get to describe my experience,” said Torres. “As a first-year here in GCC, I’ve always heard about this night market happening last year from my friends at FASA. Since it is going to be my first time, I expected it would be great, but I didn’t expect it to be that big and amazing.”

The night market provided entertainment and served as a platform for cultural exchange and community building. “Getting to enjoy the vibrant atmosphere and the chance to learn and immerse with the different APIDA communities highlights the importance of the Night Market,” Torres added.

Dylan Joel “D.J.” Valerio, a student and one of the members of GCC’s Filipino American Student Association (FASA) reflected on the diverse experiences offered, as well as his experience as one of the student performers. “The APIDA night market was a fun experience and I would love to perform again. I loved how everyone seemed to know each other before knowing each other, it just shows that even though we are people coming from different experiences and backgrounds, our community, not just APIDA but GCC as a whole… is almost like one big family,” says Dylan.

Overall, the APIDA Night Market was a truly enriching experience that celebrated diversity and highlighted the beauty of embracing different cultures. It was a night filled with unforgettable memories and a sense of unity within the community.

Check out more about the APIDA Community at Glendale Community College here: https://www.glendale.edu/academics/special-programs/student-equity-programs/learning-communities/apida

Ethan Oliver Consignado can be reached at [email protected].