Language and Communications Pathways Tea Event Kicks of Month of May

The Learning and Professional Pathways held a panel event on May 1 featuring participants with extensive academic backgrounds in language and communications, some of whom included our own GCC professors, such as Spanish instructor Paola Gómez and speech professor Nick Smith. Speaking alongside them were two other guests, Julie Wong, an executive producer and lead writer on medical drama series “Grey’s Anatomy,” who holds a B.A. in English, and Kylene Barker, CalTech’s director of employment services and recruiting, with a B.A. in Communications. 

The panel led with a brief dive into their academic journey, and a sentiment that all panelists agreed with was that during their college years, they had no idea about the many unexpected career paths their studies and majors could lead them down. Each panelist holds a B.A. in similar majors including that of either English, Communications, and Radio, Film, and Television. However, the careers they have all taken span from teaching and translating to writing and even voice acting in both television and film. Barker explained, “These majors open to multiple pathways.”

The discussion went on to touch on the subject of AI and its effects on the language and communications industry as a whole. For all its benefits, AI has become “the enemy,” as Wong puts it. Especially in the context of how it can hurt these majors and careers specifically. She goes on to say that “AI cannot replace everything. There is a human aspect to communicating with others.” In Wong’s field of television writing, as well as the other panelists’ fields, conveying a palatable storyline or message is paramount. Without the qualities of human emotional intelligence, both the purpose and audience become lost. “AI cannot replace or break the interpersonal [and] engagement-personal skills [necessary for language and communications],” Barker added.

Taking questions from the audience, a counselor asked what students can do when they are passionate about their major but have no idea how to apply it to future careers. The guests went on to share additional skills that would be useful in guiding students through their majors, the economy, and, ultimately, their work field. Wong encouraged students to take courses outside their majors as supplemental resources. Professor Smith built on this, saying critical thinking is a valuable additional skill, and suggested debate classes as they can help one formulate opinions and learn to verbally and evidently support a position. Professor Gómez highlighted the advantages students with a bilingual or multilingual background have and advised that when working with others, stepping back and “letting go” as she phrases it, is vital in leaving room for others to share, communicate, and primarily work together more effectively.

Gwenyth Pilon can be reached at [email protected].