Ani Asatryan

New Club Introduces Cooking Lessons

The Anthropology Student Association held its first unofficial meeting on Wednesday at the Student Center room 212 C to make stuffed grape leaves (sarma) and to discuss future events for the club for the Fall semester.
The club’s advisor Dr. Wendy Fonarow is an instructor at the college and has had the idea of forming a club for months.

The purpose of the unofficial meeting of the club was to promote the club, and to prepare with ideas for the fall semester.

“Now we’ve got ideas for what to do in the fall,” said Dr. Fonarow.

The meeting stemmed from a conversation between Dr. Fonarow and a student from her anthropology class. The student, Marijan Kevorkian, suggested to show everyone how to make sarma.

As an activity for the first meeting, Kevorkian prepared stuffing and showed participants how to stuff the grape leaves and cook them. She then discussed the cultural relevance the activity had.
“I love to cook and I wanted to share characteristics of our culture and how important it is in our culture for females to cook,” said Kevorkian.

Afterwards participants enjoyed the sarma that they had prepared themselves and exchanged cultural recipes and traditions with one another.

“I was delighted. I thought the event was a great success,” said Dr. Fonarow. “Being my first event at Glendale as a new professor, I didn’t know what to expect, but I left thinking I can’t wait to do this again.”
The Anthropology Student Association will be active in the fall as an official club.

New Club Introduces Cooking Lessons