Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Ana Gjesdal and Chris Wells-Anders were winners on may 4 in the Southern California Preliminaries at San Diego State University. Gjesdal won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:32.4, and had previously qualified for the 5,000-meter finals Saturday at San Diego State. Wells-Anders won the 800 meters in 1:51.64 and also ran the second leg on the 4 x 400 meter relay team that finished ninth in a best time of 3:20.12. Ani Bagumyan also qualified for the finals with a third place finish in the 1,500 meters in 4:56.2 while Pilar Delgado also qualified by finishing fifth in the 10,000 meters in 39:38. She also had previously qualified with teammate Gjesdal for the 5,000 meters on Saturday.

For the men, Ivan Alvarado finished third in both the 800 meters in 1:55.3 and third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 9:36.4. He also ran the lead off leg of the 4 x 400 meter relay along with David Movesian and Bert Alvarez-Simms. Henry Nunez also qualified in the steeplechase with a sixth-place finish in 10:00.5.
Azad Herabidian qualified with a seventh place finish in the shot put with a personal best put of 48-feet, nine inches.

The state championships are at 10 a.m. on May 18 in Santa Barbara.

MEN’S TENNIS

Scott Patterson qualified for the California Community College Tennis Championships May 9-11 in Carlsbad at the La Costa Resort by advancing to the quarterfinals of the Southern California Regionals last weekend. Patterson, the WSC champion and player of the year, defeated Michael Murphy from Fullerton 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 in the round of 16 before falling 7-5, 6-4 in the quarterfinals.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

Nanor Dekermenjian and Kendra Weekly fell in the second-round at the Southern California Regionals Thursday to Lauren Gaona and Heidi Treadwell from Ventura College 6-0 and 6-1. The team of Brittany Carr and Rebecca Hess lost in the first-round to Stephanie Chang and Veronica Sommer from Orange Coast, 6-1 and 6-3.

SOFTBALL

A pair of losses in the Southern California Regional Playoffs Saturday and Sunday ended the Vaqueros season at 26-15. The Vaqueros lost a 12-inning battle to Fullerton Saturday 1-0 and then fell to College of the Canyons 7-2 Sunday. Glendale pitcher Cori Herbert took the loss Saturday to finish the year 15-6
Freshman Vanessa Lira led seven Vaqueros named to the all-Western State Conference team that was announced last week. Lira, led Glendale with a .361 batting average. Pitcher Cori Herbert was named to the all-WSC second-team along with former Hoover High teammate Ivette Martinez, and infielder. Outfielder. Karen Regalado was also named to the second-team.

Sports Briefs