Rosalinda Coranado

Basketball Player Shows Team Spirit Off the Court

At a time when athletes often disappoint the public as role models, one GCC student athlete and his family have found a way to positively distinguish themselves in a helpful way.

Basketball player Kevin Krose, 20, along with his parents, Trudy and Mike, have on numerous occasions housed and fed many current and former basketball players who have needed a place to stay throughout Krose’s attendance at GCC.

“Whenever I know one of my friends need help, I’m right there,” said Kevin.

Kevin’s mother Trudy, 54, who is employed at Manuel Arts High School near USC in Los Angeles, teaches a class of mentally challenged children. Trudy says that in her classroom her patience never runs out and that helping other people is what life is all about.

“I like to help, and I do what I can. If it’s in my ability to help someone else, I’ll do it,” Trudy said.

Kevin’s father Mike, 54, also teaches. He works at John Burroughs High School in Burbank, where Kevin formerly attended.

One would think that since there are guests constantly staying over, the Krose house would be a bit cramped. But the two-story home in Silverlake is more than enough room for Kevin, who is an only child, and his parents. Usually, when friends are invited over, they are cooked for and housed, Kevin said.

But one athlete in particular stands out in the family’s memory. The athlete, who moved out here from New York and went from apartment to apartment, could never get situated, Kevin said. On one occasion, he was even evicted from his apartment, and it appeared he had nowhere else to go, Kevin said.

Kevin observed the situation and invited the athlete to stay at his and his parents’ house. While working at the YMCA in Glendale, the athlete was very low maintenance, Kevin said.

He basically took care of himself and was very independent,” Kevin said. “He was so far from home and never asked for anything. He also ate with us and was just like one of the family. After a while, he felt like it too.”

The athlete stay lasted around six to eight months. After he moved out, Trudy help him and two other athletes she had formerly housed find an apartment.

“He was so appreciative,” said Trudy. “All we want is to see someone who is appreciative, and we can see we’re making a difference.”

But one incident at Hotel Krose didn’t run so smoothly. Kevin recalled taking in one teammate who was known for having a bit of an attitude on and off the court, but Kevin insisted on helping him. But soon, his guest became too situated—and stole many personal belongings, Kevin said.

“He took everything. My Playstation, some shirts, shoes and my headset were all gone,” he said.
But Kevin said just because he had one bad experience that wouldn’t stop him from helping anyone else in the future.

Kevin said that although being a member of the basketball team is not a requirement to check in at Hotel Krose, most of the guests do shoot hoops.

“Everyone who has stayed with me and my family was always someone I had a strong friendship connection with. They just all [happen] to be basketball players.”

The Krose family is currently helping another one of Kevin’s friends, Fabian Leon.
“Kevin and his parents really helped me out. I was living on my own, and I just couldn’t do it anymore. His family has always been there for me and continues to be there for me.”