Students to Display Modeling Talents in Fashion Show

The Fashion Club will host its first fashion show May 1 in the J.W. Smith Student Center.

The show is the idea of the fashion club’s president Natasha Depoyo and adviser Aleta Campbell, who conceived it as way to make the year-and-half-old club’s presence known on campus.

“I wanted to get the word out to students that this club does exist and that we are always looking for new members,” said Depoyo. “I thought it was a great way to attract people in and give them a chance to see what we’re all about.”

The club has 10 regular members and meets Wednesdays at 4 p.m. and Saturdays at noon in AT220. Those interested in participating, and modeling in the show are welcome to attend, Depoyo said.

So far, 20 male and female models have signed up, most with no previous experience. Modeling techniques have been demonstrated using a tape from the Elite Modeling Agency.

Clothing vendors from the Glendale-Montrose area loaning garments for models to wear include Patty’s Closet and Cat in the Lotus. The club is still searching for vendors to showcase springtime apparel.

Plans for future shows include presenting student-designed clothing. “I would love … in the future [to] have students’ ideas on the runway,” said Depoyo. Organizers will assess the material, divide it into themed categories for the show, and create outfits for the models.

There will be two shows: at noon and 8 p.m. Admission is free and prizes will be raffled. Donations will go to gifts for models.