Schnyder Nets Career High in Win Over San Bernardino

The Vaquero sophomore guard, Michael Schnyder, came into Wednesday night’s Southern California Regional second-round against San Bernardino Valley College knowing that he needed to have a better game.

Coming out of one of his poorest displays of the season, Schnyder scored a career-high 36 points in the 86-76 victory.

Schnyder had six three-pointers in the game, with four coming in the second half.

“Last game was too close,” Schnyder said. “I wanted to hit my shots, and keep a little distance from them.”

Glendale (22-10) started the game outscoring San Bernadino (19-15) 14-0. But a let-down in defense and 10 first-half turnovers kept the Indians in the game.

“We just didn’t do a very good job defensively,” Coach Brian Beauchemin said. “If we played defense like we played Saturday night that team wouldn’t have gotten 50 points tonight.”

After a time out, San Bernardino closed the lead to 14-9. Consecutive three-pointers by Charles Litt and Justin Allen started the run.

Litt put in 16 points, including four three-pointers for the Indians.

“They can shoot,” Beauchemin said. “They got some guys who can line it up, and make it.”

Early in the second half, San Bernardino got as close as three points. But a lay-up by Tim Taylor started Glendale on an 8-0 run that gave the Vaqueros a 41-31 lead. Glendale built its lead to 62-43 with 12 minutes left in the game. During this stretch, there were three pointers from Dejon Lee, Eskias McDaniels, Nathaniel Johnson, and Schnyder.

“Once we work the ball down low and in-and-out we can beat anybody,” forward Marc Walters said. “What works for us is our full-court pressure; that’s how we get a lot of turnovers.”

Walters was second in scoring for Glendale with 14 points.

Following a timeout, San Bernardino went on an 11-0 run. Litt started the run with his final three of the game. After turnovers by Glendale, San Bernardino got four straight baskets from Daylin Philyaw, James Burries, and Isaac Russ to cut the lead to 62-54. San Bernardino got to within six, before Glendale pulled away.

San Bernardino made only 10 of 24 free throws in the game, while Glendale made 22 of 29.

Glendale next travels to face Los Angeles City College, which is the number one team in the tournament. The winner goes on to the State Final Eight held at the University of Pacific-Spanos Center, Thursday through March 10.