Pasadena Teaches Women’s Tennis a Hard Lesson

In the third scrimmage of the young season, the Glendale College Women’s team was shutout 9-0 (6-0 in singles, and 3-0 in doubles) by the more experienced Pasadena City College Lancers.

“PCC is a good team,” Coach Terry Coblentz said. “Last year they were 7th in the state, and won their conference.”

Pasadena’s number one player Kerri Manisha trounced Glendale’s number one player, Karoline Tomicich, toppling her in less than an hour 7-5, 6-3. Manisha was down 0-3 to Tomicich before taking a 5-3 lead, and eventually winning the set. Manisha dominated on the baseline forcing Tomicich into many errors.

“Karoline played well today,” Coblentz said. “She had a lot of good shots, and mixed it up. She [Manisha] is just an excellent player.”

Number two player for Glendale, Nanor Dekermenjian, lost to Ani Grigorian, number two player for Pasadena 6-3, 6-2. This was their only confrontation this year.

Number three player Jenni Wooldridge lost to Pasadena’s number three player Jennifer Miller 6-2, and 6-0. At one point, the frustrated Wooldridge threw her racket to the ground.

Rebecca Hess, number four player for Glendale lost to number four player for PCC Helga Kraus 6-2, 6-0. Kraus used her experience to overpower Hess, running her all over the court.

“She [Kraus] was the number two player for Glendale, and now she is their number four,” Coblentz said. “Playing against her gave Rebecca some experience that will only help her.”

Mariana Nashed, the number five player for Glendale, lost to Pasadena’s number five Karla Garcia 6-2, 6-0. Nashed didn’t wear protection against the sun, which caused many mistakes.

Number six player Liz Thorpe lost a grueling match to DeLores Tamoro 6-4, 6-4.

In the doubles matches, Tomicich and Dekermenjian lost to Miller and Grigorian 8-4. No to be outdone, Tomicich and Dekermenjian made many unforced errors, and Dekermenjian lost her composure. Wooldridge and Nashed lost to Garcia and Manisha 8-0, and the pair of Hess and Thorpe lost to Kraus and Tamoro 8-2. The pairs of Wooldridge and Nashed, and Hess and Thorpe played together for the first time.

“We were too emotional today,” Coblentz said. “We let them know what we were thinking, and we played to their strengths.”