Apple’s New iPhone Satisfies Users

After waiting in lines for hours, millions of people around the world were finally able to get their hands on the eighth generation iPhone — the iPhone6/6 Plus — on Sept. 19.

iPhone customers have the choice between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. The difference between the two phones is visible. While the iPhone 6 has 4.7 display and is 6.9 mm thick, the iPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5 display and is 7.1 mm thick.

Customers were able to pre-order their preferred iPhone a week before the release date to avoid the long lines, which is what Glendale College student Dikran Matevosyan did. He ordered his iPhone 6 the night of the pre-sale, which was Sept. 12, and received it the day of the official release.

“It’s the right size, ” he said.

The new phone is also easier to use with just one hand. Double tapping the home screen minimizes apps, making it easier for the finger to reach.

The reason why Matevosyan chose the iPhone 6 over the iPhone 6 plus was the difference in their size.

Although the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are different in size, they both share some of the same qualities. Both have the storage options of 16GB, 64GB or 128GB. Both come in the same colors: white/silver, white/gold and space gray. In addition, they both have the new processor A8, which is the company’s fastest yet.

Apple claims that with the new A8, the central processing unit performance is 25 percent higher while the graphic performance is 50 percent higher in quality despite using only half of the power the A7 required.

According to Apple, the new CPU, also known as the brain of a device, and the graphic performance allows higher performance maintenance while enabling graphic-intensive games or videos with higher frame rates.

Another change Apple made is the predictive texting on the keypad. The phone will predict, with a couple suggestions, what the owner of the phone wants to write next.

“There is also a feature where you can send your voice,” said Matevosyan.

There is a small microphone on the top right corner on the keypad, which allows users to record their voice once they click on it. Users can send the recordings to their friends, but recipients do not have to have the new iPhone or upgrade to receive it.

A feature that Matevosyan also liked is the Pass Book.

“You can save coupons and gift cards on there,” he said.

One of the biggest features of the new iPhones is Apple Pay, which allows a customer to pay for items with their phone by holding up the Near-Field Communication to the cashier using a fingerprint that will identify the individual and the stored credit card information.

The NFC makes the exchange of data between two devices possible. It combines a smart card and a reader in one. The NFC reader has been already built into the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

When deciding whether to purchase the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, remember that customers can now listen to up to 80 hours worth of audio, watch 40 hours of videos, talk up to 24 hours on the phone and even, even if they do not use their phone at all, it will stay on for 16 days.

Melinda Ebrahimi
Melinda Ebrahimi, Staff Writer
When I was in eighth grade, I joined my school’s newspaper in Germany. From then on, anytime somebody asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I unwaveringly answered “journalist.” However, when I moved to the United States at the age of 15, I grew less confident in my ability to be a journalist due to my unfamiliarity with the English language. However, during my junior year of high school, I set my fears aside and joined the newspaper staff. This is my first semester writing for El Vaquero and I look forward to reporting campus information. I speak Armenian, German, English, and Persian. Although my major is journalism, I also hope to work in advertising. I enjoy watching movies, playing tennis, and traveling any chance I get.    
Apple’s New iPhone Satisfies Users