Associated Students Throw Welcome Back Barbecue

Energetic music played and free popcorn, cotton candy and hot dogs were in abundance Feb. 23, as representatives of the Associated Students of Glendale Community College (ASGCC) mingled with the crowd in Plaza Vaquero while sporting the school colors.

“I came to see what this was all about since it was my first year back,” said Leonard Fox, 27, a business major. Fox and his friend Jeric Escano, 17, an undecided major, attended for the first time the barbecue that was held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Escano said he “heard the music and saw the ASGCC shirts and was curious.”

Throughout the crowd maroon- colored shirts of the student government attracted people to Plaza Vaquero.

Warren Vaughn, 19, a business major and George Chaney, 19, a public relations major, won the Krispy Kreme doughnut eating contest and received reusable hand bags that contained a Frisbee disc, a drink cup with straw, pen and pencil. “I usually participate ’cause it’s fun. The last time, they had an egg toss contest and I lost,” said Vaughn, as he talked about his experience attending last semesters barbecue.

Students, teachers and staff came ut for the event and watched contestants compete in doughnut eating and balloon popping races. On the field in the plaza, partners formed for the contest raced back and forth sitting on chairs to pop balloons placed underneath them; people crowded around both sitting and standing on the grass to watch.

“We give them the knowledge and power, but what are we doing for them outside of the classroom,” said Student Activities Coordinator and ASGCC adviser, Tzoler Oukayan, as she talked about wanting the students to “feel part of the campus” and making them feel connected to the college, which was the goal of the event.

Campus Activities Committee Vice President Yna Mokhtarians, 18, hosted the event for the first time last semester and decided that since it went well, they would repeat the event with help from various committees on the student government.

Senator of Campus Relations Ani Karapetyun, 19, an international relations major, said that they host the barbecue to let students “know we’re here for them, because of them and [we] represent the student voices.”

The ASGCC has five different committees: Administration, Finance, Campus Activities, Campus Relations, and Campus Organizations. They meet every Tuesday at 7 a.m. in the J.W. Smith Student Center, room SC 208, to establish budgetary expenditures, review policies and coordinate programs and services that benefit the entire student body.

For more information on ASGCC call (818) 240-1000 ext. 5783 or visit www.glendale.edu/as.