FELICIA MASTO

Wilder Looking for Pitching Next Season

The women’s softball team ended its season 9-12 in the Western State Gold Conference and 15-23 overall.

Although the squad’s playoff hopes were dashed, some of the players received top honors and ranked high in the WSC individual statistics.

Ranking in the Top 45 for batting average were Kristin Carr, with a .397 average, and Karen Regalado, with .304. Carr hit an impressive 25 hits and scored 12 runs in 63 at-bats. Regalado garnered 21 hits and 17 runs in 69 at-bats. These two also ranked for RBIs, Regalado placing third with 21 and Carr in sixth with 18.

Also ranking for RBIs were Lindsey Mead and Natalie Stark, each with 10, and Jennifer Gonzalez with eight. Carr led the WSC in doubles, hitting 12, while Mead and Evelyn Gomez each had three.

Regalado placed second in conference for triples, with three, while Gonzalez placed third, with two. Lindsey Mead tied for third in stolen bases, with 12, Stark placed fourth, with 11, and Regalado was fifth, with 10.

Carr and Regalado were named First Team All Conference, with Carr also being named All-Southern Conference Team.

Gonzalez and Gomez received honorable mention in the Western State Conference.

The team overall had a .243 batting average, had 143 hits, scored 115 runs and stole 52 bases in 589 at-bats.

However, the pitching was the root of the team’s problems all year.
Overall, the team’s ERA was 3.05, with pitchers giving up 116 hits, letting 118 runs score, walking 113 batters and striking out 54 in 124 innings of work.

“When it gets down to it, you can see that we have the offense. So many of our girls ranked high in individual statistics, just imagine if we had had the pitching to go along with it,” said coach Dave Wilder.

Wilder Looking for Pitching Next Season