FELICIA MASTO

Softball’s Season Comes to End With Loss to Ventura

The women??Ts softball team lost to Ventura Tuesday, ending their season with a 9-12 record in the Western State Conference Gold Division.

The Vaqueros scored a run in the first inning, but their offense was unable to support starting pitcher Evelyn Gomez and failed to score again, leading to a final score 12-1.

Last week, the squad traveled to San Luis Obispo where they lost a doubleheader, 3-1 and 9-1 respectively, to Cuesta College.

Going into last week, the team had an even record, but continued to be plagued by their lack of pitching.

Gomez, a first baseman and Kristin Carr, a catcher, were both converted into pitchers for this season after devastating injuries wiped out the team??Ts starting hurlers.

Leftfielder Karen Regalado also contributed to pitching, giving the team a 3.10 ERA average, one of the highest in the league.

Coach Dave Wilder, a firm believer in the power of pitching, said, ??oSoftball is predicated on how your pitching is, and we don??Tt have it.??2
However, the team has excelled in several categories, and despite pitching problems, were still able to prove why they were strong contenders in one of the toughest conferences.

??oWe??Tre everywhere in the stats,??2 said Wilder. Carr, an absolute stalwart for the team, finished the season batting a monstrous .481.

She leads the WSC with 12 doubles, and also managed to slug a homerun and drive in 18 runs. Regalado hit .339, is tied for first in the WSC for triples with three, and led her team in RBIs with 21.

Natalie Stark, who doubled as a shortstop and rightfielder, hit an steady .309 for the year, batting in 10 runs for her team.

The team as a whole batted an impressive .285, which Wilder used to elude to the talent of his players.

??oWe??Tre doing everything right, we just don??Tt have pitching,??2 Wilder said.
Four of the players are in the WSC top 20 for stolen bases, including centerfielder Lindsey Mead who stole six. Mead also helped lead the Vaquero defense, fielding a perfect 1.000 percent.

Despite a losing record, Wilder says he is proud of what was accomplished in the face of adversity, and looks to his freshmen to be leaders on the squad next year.

??oWith what they??Tve done and what they??Tve been through, they??Tve done a really good job.??2