JASON CASTRO
El Vaquero Sports Editor" />

First Track Meet on Home Field in 10 Years

View gallery

The Glendale men’s and women’s track teams felt right at home when they hosted their first home meet in more than 10 years. Competing in front of friends and family on Friday, the track and field stars made them proud.

“We just wanted to put on a good meet,” said Eddie Lopez, the men’s and women’s track and field coach.

The Vaqueros exceeded their coach’s expectations. The men’s and women’s teams were both victorious in the conference meet. GCC recorded 61 points for the men’s event and 52 overall points for the women’s events to end up on top. The five-team meet also featured Allan Hancock College, Santa Monica College, L.A. Valley College and West L.A. College.

“It was great for our athletes to compete here,” said Alex Leon, GCC’s Sports Information Director. “It was an overall big success.”

The new track facility at Sartoris field has proven to be an excellent venue for future meets.

“We knew the quality of the track would hold up,” said Leon. “The other schools felt comfortable competing here.”

“We look forward to hosting future events.” said Leon.

With an overcast draping the sky, the weather cooperated and the rain didn’t fall until the end of the meet. All of the events went accordingly with the exception of the javelin competition, which was scratched out the last minute.

The Vaqueros were favored in the distance events, but they also fared well in the sprints and field competitions.

It was a well-rounded victory for the track and field squad.

For the women, Maribel Cespedes dominated the track with two solid wins. She won the 800 meters in 2 minutes and 26.87 seconds and the 3,000 in 11:29.43. She also placed second in the 1500 meters in 5:03.29.

he discus throw of 85-feet, 8 inches with her teammate Cassy Vasile claiming second place. Loyola also finished second in the shot put with a distance of 29-feet, 6 inches.

Distance runner Lilly Hernandez ran away with the 1,500 meters finishing with a time of 5:02.2. Hernandez was also second in the 800 meters in 2:30.32.

Kristina Dartyan came out on top of the pole vault competition with a high jump of 7-feet, 6 inches.

The men’s team followed the women’s lead as they dominated the distance events and fared well in the field competitions.

Distance runner Luis Castaneda was a double winner; he took the 800 meter in 1.57.71 and the 1,500 in 4:02.6.

“I wanted my friends and family to be proud of me,” said Castaneda. “Running here gave us energy.”

Ray Vasquez finished first in the 3,000 with a solid time of 8:50.40 and took third in the 1500 in 4:05.6.

All around athlete Michael Esquivel contributed with two field victories for GCC. He won the pole vault, with a jump of 14-feet and the discuss throw of 118-feet, 4 inches and he also finished fourth in the long jump at 19-feet, six inches.

Sprinter Chris Marshall won the 100 meter in 10.7 and placed second in the 200 in 22.73.

The Vaqueros compete in the Meet of Champions Saturday at Azusa Pacific. They look to repeat as the Western Southern Conference Champions and continue their winning trend.