PETER KIM

Men’s Tennis Holds 8-4 Record on Home Stretch

The Vaquero men’s tennis team played an easy league match against Citrus College at home last Tuesday for a 8-1 win.

Their next match will be played at home against Santa Barbara College next Tuesday at 2 p.m.

With competition heading down the home stretch, the Vaqueros are holding strong in league with a 8-4 overall record.

Their game against Citrus marks the near end of league competition, with only two teams left to be played against Santa Barbara and Ventura College.

Second year athlete Shara Surabi led the team in singles to beat his opponent Kazuma Ozaki 6-0 and 6-1.

Gevork Kirakosian played as the No. 2 singles player and also added to the bucket of wins with 6-4 and 6-2 victories over his opponent Hermes Lusta.

Chris Tissot held his own on the court with a double bagel,
6-0 and 6-0.

In doubles the squad played pro set doubles games and gained all three wins. Surabi teamed up with Kirakosian to defeat Citrus’ No. 1 team of Lusta and Ivan Espinoza, 8-1. Philip Lam and Tissot joined forces to compete against Ozaki and Fadi Fandus, but their game was cut short by a Citrus injury, giving the Vaqueros a default win.

“We did well,” said men’s tennis coach Bob Mackay. “They were an easy team.”

The squad has a tough set of games coming up next Tuesday and Thursday as they will face Santa Barbara and Ventura, respectively.

In their previously scheduled match against Santa Barbara, the Vaqueros were unable to finish their match due to rain.

As a result, the squad will be playing Santa Barbara for the first time on Tuesday. Their rained out match will be held on April 18.

The last time the Vaqueros met with Ventura, the team lost hold of the game for a 2-7 loss. This time, the team hopes to play for the win.

“The next set of games will be interesting,” said Mackay. “As we get into the home stretch, we have really tough matches to play.”