Sports Summary

TRACK & FIELD

Glendale made it a clean sweep Friday in its first home meet in over 10 years by winning the men and women’s portion of the Western State Conference meet against Allan Hancock, Santa Monica, Valley and West Los Angeles.

The women totaled 61 points paced by sweeps in the 800 and 1500 meters. Maribel Cespedes was a double winner in the 800 in 2:26.87 and in the 3000 meters in 11:29.4. She also placed second in the 1500 meters in 5:03.29. Lilly Hernandez won the 1500 meters in 5:02.2 with Maria Castaneda finishing third in the same race in 5:09.5 and Anna Rodriguez was fourth in 5:17.4 meters.

Hernandez was also second in the 800 meters in 2:30.32 and Castaneda was third in the same race in 2:30.34. Other winners were Lourdes Loyola in the discus at 85-feet, 8 inches and Kristina Dartyan in the pole vault at 7-feet, 6 inches. Loyola also finished second in the shot put with a distance of 29-feet, 6 inches and Cassy Vasile was also second in the discus with a throw of 85-feet. Julissa Camacho finished second in the 400 meters in 1:03.3 and fourth in the 200 meters in 28.07. The 4 x 400 relay team of Sandra Martinez, Anne DeLeon, Lilly Hernandez and Maria Castaneda took second in4:41.55.

For the men who totaled 52 points, Luis Castaneda was a double winner in the 800 meters in 1:57.7 and in the 1500 meters in 4:02.6. Michael Esquivel was also a double winner in the pole vault at 14-feet, the discus at 118-feet, 4 inches and finished fourth in the long jump at 19-feet, six inches. Chris Marshall won the 100 meters in 10.7 and finished second in the 200 meters in 22.7. Ray Vasquez won the 3000 meters in 8:50.4 and took third in the 1500 in 4:05.6. Carl Adams was second in the pole vault at 12-feet, six inches and Dipak Patel was third with a leap of 10-feet. Tomas Aguirre was third in the 800 meters in 2:01.3 and Oscar Larios took second in the 110-meter high hurdles in 17.8 and was third in the 400 intermediate hurdles in 59.2.

Ivan Perez was second in the 3000 meters in 9:23.38 and fourth in the 1500 meters in 4:13.6. The 4 x 100-meter relay team of Gerald Biggers, Jamal Rashad, Ricky Davis and Chris Marshall finished second in 43.7 and 4 x 400-meter relay team of Tomas Aguirre, Biggers, Davis and Castaneda finished second in 3:20.2.

The Vaqueros compete in the Meet of Champions Saturday at Azusa Pacific.

BASEBALL

The Vaqueros fell to Canyons 11-6 Sunday in a game that was rained out Saturday to fall to 7-22 overall and 2-11 in the WSC South. They had byes Tuesday and Thursday. Glendale played at Canyons Tuesday, hosted Valley Thursday at Stengel Field at 2:00 p.m. and plays at Valley Saturday at 1:00 p.m.

SOFTBALL

Glendale dropped three games in the Ventura Tournament Sunday to fall to 8-13-1 overall and 4-7 in the WSC Blue Division. Saturday’s games were rained out. They lost to Cypress 8-0, 3-0 to Long Beach and 4-3 to Cerritos. The Vaqueros hosted Valley in a doubleheader Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. and Citrus Thursday at 2:30 p.m. All home games are played at Scholl Canyon Park.

MEN’S TENNIS

Glendale defeated Pierce 8-1 Thursday to improve to 6-1 in WSC and 6-6 overall. Tuesday’s match against Hancock and Friday’s match against Bakersfield were postponed and will be made up later.

In the win over Pierce, Lew DeLeon, Sergy Vagramian, Hakop Tadevosian, Norik Otuzbiryan, Derik DerMegerdichian and Craig Strazzeri helped the Vaqueros sweep in singles and they won two in doubles with wins from the teams of Otuzbiryan and DerMegerdichian and DeLeon and Strazzeri. The Vaqueros had a bye Tuesday and played Ventura Thursday at 2:00 p.m.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The Vaqueros beat Santa Monica 9-0 Thursday to improve to 5-7 overall and 3-6 in WSC. Tuesday’s match at Hancock was postponed until April 18. In the win over Santa Monica, Debbie Martin, Anna Alicia Araujo, Martina Vassileva, Ofelaya Abramhamyan and Maria Bagaforo and Jennifer Chung swept all six matches in singles as did the doubles teamsoAraujo and Martin, Vassileva and Bagaforo and Abramhamyan and Chung. Glendale’s home match Monday against Ventura was rained out and they hosted Cuesta Tuesday at 2 p.m.

Sports Summary