Sports Summary

Track and Field

The men and women competed in the cold at the Bakersfield Invitational Saturday and came through with some solid performances.

For the women, Maribel Cespedes won the invitational 5000 meters in a personal best time of 18:56.12 and finished fourth in the invitational 800 meters in 2:29.51.

Lilly Hernandez was also a winner in the invitational 3,000 meter steeplechase in 12:38.80 and heat two of the 800 meters in 2:36.04.

Anna Rodriguez was second in the same race in the 3000 meter steeplechase in 12:54.58 and Kristina Dartyan was second in the pole vault in a personal best of 8 feet.

Julie Camacho was fourth in the invitational 200 meters in 27.69 and fifth in the invitational 400 meters in 1:03.14. Maria Castaneda was fourth in the invitational 1,500 meters in 5:23.39 and fifth in the invitational 800 meters in a personal best time of 2:34.78.

For the men, Ray Vasquez was second in the invitational 5,000 meters in 4:07.62 and was also second in the invitational 5,000 meters in a personal best time of 15:45.53.

Michael Esquivel was also second in the javelin with a toss of 139 feet, four inches. Tomas Aguirre was second in the invitational 800 meters in 2:01.77 and Luis Castaneda was third in the invitational 5,000 meters in a personal best time of 15:38.19.

Preston Richardson was third in the invitational 1,500 meters in 4:07.86 and Ricky Davis took third in his heat of the 100 meters in 11.71 and Dipak Patel was fourth in the pole vault at 11 feet.
Terrence Watson had a personal best throw of 108 feet, 1 inch to finish 12th in the discus and George Aquino had a personal best throw of 97 feet, eight inches to finish 17th. Glendale host a big meet on Friday.

Baseball

Glendale fell to Valley 6-5 in 10 innings Tuesday, March 7 and 9-0 to Citrus Thursday, March 9 to fall to 2-3 in the WSC South and 7-14 overall. Saturday’s game against Citrus was rained out and will be replayed Wednesday at Stengel Field at 3 p.m.

The Vaqueros hosted Mission Tuesday at 2 p.m. at Stengel Field and played at Mission Thursday at 2 p.m. at El Cariso Park and played at Bakersfield Saturday at 1 p.m.

The Vaqueros dropped four games last week to fall to 7-18 overall and 2-7 in the WSC South. Glendale fell to Mission 9-6 March 14, lost to Citrus 13-4 March 15 in a game that was rained out on March 11, lost to Mission 7-5 March 16 and lost to Bakersfield 6-0 March 18.

Glendale played at Bakersfield Tuesday at 6 p.m. and hosted Pierce Thursday at 2 p.m. at Stengel Field and plays at Pierce Saturday at 1 p.m.

Softball

Moorpark 8-6 on Monday, March 6 in a game that was rained out on February 28 and lost to Cuesta 8-1 Tuesday, March 7 and to Valley 6-5 March 9. In the win over Moorpark, Heather Kelley, Christina Kula, Vanessa Escobar and Ashley Grijalva all had two hits each and Kelley, Kula, Grijalva and Ashley Messenger all had two RBI. Rebecca Wingett was the winning pitcher.

Glendale played a doubleheader at Citrus March 14 at 1 p.m. and plays in the Mt. San Jacinto Tournament Saturday and Sunday.
Glendale College dropped a doubleheader to Citrus March 14, 11-2 and 11-2 to fall to 4-4 in the WSC Blue Division and 8-7-1 overall. The Mt. San Jacinto Tournament was rained out Saturday and Sunday.

The Vaqueros played a doubleheader at Canyons Tuesday starting at 1 p.m. and hosted Bakersfield Thursday at 2:30 p.m. at Scholl Canyon Park.

Men’s Tennis

Glendale fell to 2-1 in WSC and 2-5 overall after losing to Ventura 6-3 March 9. They had a bye Tuesday.

Sergy Vagramian and Hakop Tadevosian had wins in singles as did the doubles team of Vagramian and Lew DeLeon.

The Vaqueros had a bye Tuesday and play at Bakersfield Thursday at 2 p.m. Glendale improved to 3-1 in WSC and 3-5 overall after beating Bakersfield 5-4 Thursday, March 16.

They had a bye last Tuesday. The Vaqueros won four of six matches in singles as Lew DeLeon, Hakop Tadevosian, Norik Otuzbiryan, Derik DerMegerdichian as well as the doubles team of Sergy Vagramian and De Leon.

The Vaqueros play at Hancock Tuesday and at Santa Barbara Thursday and host Occidental College at 1 p.m. Saturday

Women’s Tennis

The Vaqueros lost to Cuesta 8-1 Tuesday, March 7 and to Ventura 9-0 Thursday, March 9 to fall to 3-4 overall and 1-3 in WSC.

The doubles team of Debbie Martin and Anna-Alicia Araujo had the only victory for Glendale.

Glendale had a bye Tuesday and hosted Bakersfield Thursday at 2 p.m.The Vaqueros lost to Bakersfield 9-0 Thursday, March 16 to fall to 1-4 in WSC.

They had a bye Tuesday. Glendale hosted Hancock Tuesday and Santa Barbara Thursday and play at Bakersfield today. Both home matches started at 2 p.m.

Sports Summary