Sports Summary

TRACK & FIELD

For the men, Ray Vasquez was a double winner in the 1500 meters in 4:05.8 and in the 3000 meters in 8:58.1. Michael Esquivel won the javelin with a throw of 159-feet, five inches and also placed third in the pole vault with a vault of 12-feet, six inches. Luis Castaneda took first in the 800 meters in 2:00.22. Second-place finishes were turned in by Ryan Robbins in the triple jump with a leap of 40-feet, seven inches and Preston Richardson in the 1500 meters in 4:06.18 and the 800 in 2:00.42. Ivan Perez was third in the 3000 in 9:25 and Castaneda took third in the 1500 meters in 4:11.58 and Miles Suguitian was tied for fourth in the pole vault at 12-0 feet and Victor Rios came in fourth in the 3000 in 9:40 and Tomas Aguirre was fourth in the 800 in 2:02.7. The 4 x 400 relay team of Aguirre, Richardson, Castaneda and Carlos Velasquez finished third in 3:36.4.

For the women, Julissa Camacho won the 400 meters in 1:03.39 and placed second in the 200 meters in 27.76. Maribel Cespedes won the 3000 meters in 10:30 and took third in the 1500 meters in 5:14 and Eliza Donikyan won the shop put with a put of 30-feet, two inches. Lourdes Loyola was third in the shot put with a put of 27-feet, either inches, Maria Castaneda was third in the 800 meters in 2:35.23 and Anna Rodriguez was third in the 3000 meters in 10:40. Lilly Hernandez took fourth in the 1500 meters in 5:16.04. The 4 x 400 relay team of Camacho, Hernandez, Castaneda and Anne DeLeon finished third in 4:40.6.

The men and women compete in the Bakersfield Relays Saturday at 9 a.m.

BASEBALL

Glendale won two of three games last week to improve to 7-12 overall and 2-1 in the Western State Conference Southern Division. The Vaqueros fell to Canyons 8-3 last Tuesday and then beat Canyons 3-0 Thursday and Valley 5-4 Saturday. In the win over Valley Saturday, Clay Young got the win in relief of starter Trey LaSalle-Castro, who scattered seven hits in his five innings of work. Josh Grady led the Vaqueros with three hits and Nate Cordray added two singles as Glendale banged out 10 hits.

The Vaqueros lost a close one in 10 innings against Valley on Tuesday, 6-5. They played at Citrus on Thursday and host Citrus Saturday at 1:00 p.m. at Stengel field.

SOFTBALL

The Vaqueros moved into first place in the WSC Blue Division after a 5-3 win over Ventura College Thursday. Last Tuesday’s game at Moorpark was postponed because of rain and will be replayed today. In the win over Ventura, Rebecca Wingett pitched the complete game win as Ashley Messenger and Cristina Kula each had three hits on a pair of doubles each and Messenger also drove in two runs and scored once.

Glendale won the make-up game on Monday 8-6 versus Moorpark, and lost 8-1 against Cuesta on Tuesday.

MEN’S TENNIS

Glendale improved to 2-0 in WSC and 2-4 overall with an 8-1 win at Pierce Thursday. Tuesday’s match at Allan Hancock was rained out and will be played on March 21. The Vaqueros swept all six singles matches against Pierce with Lew De Leon, Hakop Tadevosian, Norik Otuzbiryan, Derik DerMegerdichian, Craig Strazzeri and Munemitsu Kado. The doubles teams of De Leon and Tadevosian and Otuzbiryan and DerMegerdichian were also victorious.

The Vaqueros have a bye Tuesday and hosted Ventura Thursday.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The Vaqueros beat Santa Monica 8-1 Thursday to improve to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in WSC. Anna-Alicia Araujo, Martina Vassileva, Maria Bagaforo, Jennifer Chung and Zaira Rojas had wins in singles as did the doubles teams of Debbie Martin and Araujo, Vassileva and Bagaforo and Kim Zavala and Rojas.

Glendale lost to Cuesta 7-2 on Tuesday and played Ventura Thursday.

Sports Summary