Bi-Weekly Vaquero Sports

CROSS COUNTRY

The Vaquero men and women dominated the Western State Conference Championships last Tuesday at Allan Hancock College by winning both titles for the first time in tandem since 2001. The men won their first title since 2003 and 15th in the last 19 years and the women won for the first time since 2001 and for the eighth time since 2001.

The men’s team scored 43 points and easily distanced Ventura which finished second with 73 points and Oxnard which had 93 points to finish third. Luis Castenada was the top Glendale finisher over the four-mile course in 21:18.9 to finish second overall as three Glendale runners finished second through fourth. Ivan Perez was third in 21:19.7, Joseph Lopez was fourth in 21:29.9, Preston Richardson was 10th in 21:42.9 and Alberto Ramos was 24th in 22:29.4.

The women scored 57 points to win ahead of second-place Bakersfield with 76 points and third-place Cuesta had 102 and was led by Liliana Hernandez who placed fifth over the three mile course in 19:58. Vanessa Murillo was eighth in 20:11.7, Maribel Cespedes was 10th in 20:24.1, Ana Rodriguez was 14th in 20:42 and Maria Castenada was 20th in 21:10.05. Glendale competes in the Southern California Championships November 4 in San Diego.

FOOTBALL

It took four quarters of regulation play and three overtimes but Glendale finally overcame a slow start with a frantic finish to defeat West Los Angeles College 56-5 4 Saturday. The victory improves the Vaqueros overall record to 6-2 and they are 4-1 in the WSC South and are tied with Citrus for first place. Glendale was ranked No. 10 in Southern California in the COA Poll and 20th in the state by J.C. Grid wire last week. Offensively, the team was led by quarterback Steve Martinez and receiver Darion Donnelly who both earned WSC Player of the Week honors. Martinez ran for three touchdowns and passed for four touchdowns and was 14 of 21 for 261 yards. Donnelly caught nine balls for 151 yards and three scores including the game tying touchdown in the third overtime as well as the 2-point conversion pass from Martinez that clinched the win. Running back Jamal Rashad shook off an injury to run for 176 yards in 33 carries to spearhead the ground game.

Glendale hosts Santa Monica Saturday at 5.p.m in its final home game of the regular season at Sartoris Field. The sophomores will be honored before the game for their contributions to Glendale College Football.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Glendale split a pair of games last week and is now 11-6-1 overall and 5-3-1 in WSC. They fell to Santa Monica 3-1 last Tuesday and then beat Canyons 2-1 Friday. In the win over Canyons, Janet De Lao scored both goals for the Vaqueros.

The Vaqueros play at Pierce Tuesday and host Bakersfield Friday at Sartoris Field at 7 p.m.

MEN’S SOCCER

The Vaqueros swept a pair of games last week to improve to 4-9-4 overall and 2-3-3 in WSC. They beat Santa Barbara 1-0 last Tuesday and beat Oxnard 2-1 last Friday.

Glendale was to have hosted Citrus tomorrow night but the Owls will forfeit that game. They will host Mission Friday at 5 p.m. at Sartoris Field.

WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL

The Vaqueros dropped a pair of matches last week to fall to 0-14 overall and 0-7 in WSC. They Vaqueros lost to Bakersfield in three games last Tuesday and fell to Citrus 30-17, 30-17, 30-14 Friday. In the loss to Citrus, Christine Hyman led Glendale with 10 kills and Amber Barton added 10 assists. Karla Martinez had nine digs and Dani Regan had two service aces.

The Vaqueros play at Santa Monica Tuesday and host
Canyons Friday at 7 p.m.

Bi-Weekly Vaquero Sports