OLIVER TAN
El Vaquero Staff Witer" />

Vaqueros Sports Summaries

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Glendale split a pair of games last week and are now 4-1-1. The Vaqueros suffered their first lost of the season to Pasadena 2-1 Tuesday and beat Allan Hancock 5-1 Friday.

In the win over Hancock, Janet De Lao and Claudia Cienfuentes each scored two goals and Jennifer Barrientos scored once for Glendale.
The Vaqueros host Cuesta College Friday at 4 p.m. at Sartoris Field.

CROSS COUNTRY

The Vaqueros had a pair of solid runner-up finishes for the men and women’s teams Saturday at the Cuesta Invitational. The men finished second with 66 points, just one point behind meet winner Hartnell College with 65. Luis Castaneda’s time of 21:39.4 over the four-mile course made him the top Glendale finisher and second overall.
Preston Richardson was next with a ninth place finish in 22:32.2, Ivan Perez was 12th in 23:01, Joseph Lopez was 13th in 23:07.3 and Victor Rios was 65th in 23:56.80.

For the women who finished second with 55 points behind meet winner Cuesta with 52, Liliana Hernandez was the top Glendale runner in third place in 20:41.1 over the three-mile course. Maribel Cespedes was next in eighth place in 21:17.9; Ana Rodriguez was 12th in 21.56.6., Leticia Camacho was 15th in 22:46.8 and Rosario Castaneda was 17th in 22:50.8.

Glendale competes in the Golden West Invitational Sept. 24 at 10:00 a.m.

FOOTBALL

The Vaqueros fell to Compton 14-7 Saturday in the Western State Conference Southern Division opener for both teams. Now 1-2 and 0-1 this season, Glendale struggled offensively the entire game but took a 7-6 lead in the fourth quarter on a nine-yard touchdown pass from Steve Martinez to Darion Donnelly. Sam Ledford was the leading rusher with 79 yards on 14 carries and Donnelly caught three passes for 28 yards and one touchdown.

Defensively, Marco Ramirez led the effort with 14 tackles and two sacks.

Matt Patterson added 14 tackles and intercepted a pass.
Glendale hits the road this week with a WSC South game Sept. 24 at L.A. Southwest College at 1:00 p.m.

WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL

The Vaqueros record dropped to 0-3 after a three-game loss to Orange Coast College 30-13, 30-17 and 30-14 last Wednesday and competed in the Santa Ana tournament Saturday.
Glendale hosts Cerritos Collge Sept.23. at 7:00 p.m.

MEN’S SOCCER

Glendale dropped a pair of non-conference games last week to fall to 0-6 this season. They fell to Fullerton 2-1 last Tuesday and to Cerritos 1-0 Friday.

The Vaqueros host Chaffey College Friday at Sartoris Field at 6:30 p.m.

Vaqueros Sports Summaries