Vaqueros Take a Victory Against L.A. Harbor

The Vaqueros defeated the L.A. Harbor Seahawks 17-13 at San Pedro High School on Saturday night, improving their record to 5-0 for the first time since 1988.

The Vaquero defense bullied the Seahawk offense, holding the Seahawks scoreless for three quarters, and coming up with big plays on the third down to end the Seahawks’ scoring opportunities.

The Vaquero defense allowed only 36 rushing yards and sacked the quarterback eight times. Leading the defense was defensive end Grant Valentine, who had 4.5 sacks on the night.

“It was a team effort; our [defensive] tackles made nice plays, our [defensive backs] were holding [the receivers], and I was fortunate to have my sacks,” said Valentine.

The Vaquero offensive power was also present on the field, with 407 yards of total offense. Leading the Vaqs’ offensive attack was Brendon Doyle, who completed ten of 14 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown.

On the first offensive play of the game for the Vaqs, Doyle hit receiver Juan Magallon for a 79-yard gain and a first and goal on the one-yard line, setting up a Shaun Kermah rushing touchdown. In the fourth quarter, Boyle hooked up with wide receiver Abraham Venegas for 64 yards and a touchdown to extend the lead to 17-0.

The Seahawks, who led the Western State Conference in scoring, scored only 13 points in the fourth quarter to come within four points of the Vaqs who had jumped to a 17-point lead early in the fourth quarter to 17-13. With a minute left and the Seahawks encroaching on the Vaquero end zone, defensive back Josh Nesbitt intercepted the Seahawks’ pass to seal the victory for the Vaqs.

“Our defense played hard and aggressive,” said Coach John Cicuto. “I liked the way we made big plays on defense.”

Cicuto hopes to have more success against L.A. Pierce College on Oct. 21 when the Vaqueros host Pierce at Sartoris Field.