Vaquero Sports Summaries

CROSS COUNTRY

The Vaquero women won the Western State Conference championship last Tuesday at Cuesta College while the men finished fourth. Tove Berg led the women to the title by winning the 3.1 mile race in 18:36 as the Vaqs won with 44 points. Bakersfield was second with 62 and Ventura was third with 97. Lili Hernandez was third in 19:52, Ana Rodriguez was eighth in 20:14, Brenda Santana was 13th in 20:39 and Desiree Ruiz was 21st in 21:24. Rosario Castaneda was 24th in 21:54 and Sandra Martinez was 27th in 22:04. Berg and Hernandez earned first-team all-WSC honors by virtue of their finishes. Rodriguez and Santana were second-team choices and Ruiz made the third-team Castaneda and Martinez were named to the fourth team all-conference.

Chris Lopez finished third over the four mile race in 21:51 to pace the men to their fourth place finish with 127 points. Jose Valencia was 26th in 23:22, Mike Flowers was 28th in 23:31, Manny Ramirez was 31st in 23:36 and Ruben Hernandez was 40th in 24:08. Lopez was named to the all-WSC first-team and Valencia and Flowers were selected to the all-conference fourth team.

FOOTBALL

Glendale improved to 7-1 overall and 4-1 in the WSC South after beating West Los Angeles College 45-21 Saturday at Sartoris Field.

The Vaqs scored six offensive touchdowns against the Oilers and had 439 yards of total offense. Running back Anthony Cullors earned WSC Player of the Week honors after running for 127 yards on 21 carries and scoring twice and he also had three tackles on special teams. Quarterback Brendon Doyle completed 18 of 29 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns and Juan Magallon caught five passes for 57 yards and one touchdown.

Defensively, Alonzo Meinfield led the charge with six tackles and Josh Nesbitt, Matt Patterson and John Young all had five tackles each and Patterson intercepted a pass.

The Vaqueros hit the road this week with a 4 p.m. WSC clash at Santa Monica City College.

MEN’S SOCCER

Glendale is 1-15-2 overall and 1-7-2 in WSC after beating Santa Monica 4-2 last Tuesday and losing to Oxnard 4-2 Friday.
The Vaqueros play at Citrus Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. and play at Mission Friday at 3 p.m.

Glendale fell to 0-14-2 overall and 0-6-2 in WSC after falling to Canyons 3-0 Friday.

The Vaqueros host Santa Barbara Tuesday and Oxnard Friday at Sartoris Field. Both games start at 7 p.m.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

The Vaqueros had a tie and a loss last week to drop to 10-5-5 overall and 3-2-3 in WSC. They lost to Santa Monica 2-1 last Tuesday and tied Canyons 0-0 Friday.
Glendale hosts Pierce Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. at Sartoris Field and play at Bakersfield Friday at 3:00 p.m.

VOLLEYBALL

Glendale dropped a pair of matches last week to fall to 1-3 in WSC and 5-11 overall started. Glendale fell to Pierce in three games last Tuesday 30-16, 30-13 and 30-20 and fell to Bakersfield in three games Friday 30-23, 30-23 and 30-22. In the loss to Bakersfield, Susie Marco had 12 kills and Lourdes Loyola had 10.

Alyssa Rosca had 32 assists, Vanessa Escobar had 12 digs and Christine Hyman had three aces.

The Vaqueros play at Citrus Tuesday at 7 p.m. and host Santa Monica Friday at 7 p.m.

Vaquero Sports Summaries