JASON CASTRO

Baseball Squad Anticipates Late Season Wins

The baseball season is halfway over and the Vaqueros are off to a slow start. Their losing streak continued as they dropped four games last week to fall to 7-18 overall and 2-7 in the Western Southern Conference.

“We’ve had our ups and downs this season,” said Coach Chris Cicuto. “We’ve been in every game; it’s been a matter of situational production in clutch moments that the team’s been missing.”

Most of their losses fell short of just a few runs, due to their struggling offense. Their effort shows as some of their losses have been close. They fell to Mission College twice last week, 9-6 March 14, and 7-5 March 16. The Vaqueros must now look ahead and try to finish the season on a positive note. Their confidence is not lost and their team chemistry is intact.

The team has plenty of talent as their starting lineup was an All-League selection in high school. Two of their players were drafted by professional teams in the amateur draft last year. Andy Marquardt, drafted in the 36th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers and Clay Young, drafted 38th round by the New York Yankees.

For a year, the pro team has a hold of their rights and has the option of signing them to a minor league contract or follow their progress in junior college. Most major league teams suggest they develop their skills with good coaching and most importantly, a good college education.

Andy Marquardt, a freshman from St. Francis High School has been one of the teams’ bright spots. He plays tough defense on the outfield and has a solid batting average of .316 with one homerun through thirteen games.

“We put ourselves into this position,” said Marquardt, reflecting on the season. “It seems like every game we just can’t close the door. But I’m very confident that the second half of the season will be better.”

One of the leaders on the field is shortstop Zareh Sohbatian.

A sophomore from Glendale High School, he was an All-Area First Team selection in high school and competed at Pasadena City College last year.

Known as “Z” by his teammates, he continues his solid play on defense and has a batting average of .429 with 2 runs scored.

“We’ve had rough times this year,” said Sohbatian. “We’re on our way to picking it up for the second half.”

The Vaquero baseball program has an outstanding reputation. GCC has won four WSC Championships(’98,’99,’01 and ’02). In 2002, Glendale hosted the JC Playoff Regional, the first in school history.

The Vaqueros most successful season under the leadership of Coach Cicuto was in 2002. Along with the WSC Championship, they finished the season with a record of 34-13, the Vaqueros ranked as high as fourth in Southern California.

Glendale looks to continue that rich baseball tradition in the future.