GCC Women’s Volleyball Faces Chaffey College

In a tight match between Glendale College and Chaffey College, both women’s volleyball teams put up a battle to better their season record as Glendale came into the match with a 1-5 record and Chaffey College with a 1-7 record. The evenly matched teams went the extra mile, totaling the game to five sets, with Glendale coming out on top 3-2 sets.

Both teams put up a battle as the sets, going up to 25 points, were scored 25-16, 25-17, 23-25, 25-21, and 15-7. After leading 2-0 going into the third set, Glendale dropped sets three and four to ultimately win in set five. The girls overcame a tough mental battle. “In order to beat this team, we knew we had to play a fast game,” Glendale’s Women’s Volleyball Coach Yvette Ybarra said. “The first and second sets we ran the game and set the pace. In the third and fourth set, we let them run the game. The girls learned that they can actually preserve and play just like they did in the first set in the fifth set.” With GCC emerging victorious with many star players.

On the offensive side, freshman Jaydyn Dedaux put up an impressive 12 kills, with freshman Karina Biel following close behind with eight kills. On the defensive side, freshman Caitlyn Mendoza from John Burroughs High School did not disappoint, leading the team in digs with 12 throughout the match. Working together on both offense and defense, Glendale College’s well-oiled team worked together to take down Chaffey College, proving their well-defined offense strategy and tactical defensive strategy are not to be messed with. With tough opponents ahead, GCC looks to improve its 2-5 record by perfecting its offensive execution and is another win into their promising 2023 season.

Samantha Smith can be reached at [email protected]