Golf Team Takes Third Place at Oakmont Country Club

Chilly winds at the Oakmont Country Club blew Glendale Community College’s golf players to third place on Monday.

“A lot of people didn’t shoot well,” said Jin Park, one of GCC’s most promising players. “It probably had something to do with the wind or the hard course. We saw a lot of high numbers out there.”

College of the Canyons took first place; Sidney Wolf and Jack Katz tied for first with 70 points. In second came Santa Barbara City College with Blake McPherson, leading with 71 points. GCC finished in third with Win Kyaw and Ryan Miranda also tying for first with 77.

“I thought our team played very well,” said GCC golf coach Greg Osbourne. “We came in third. If we would have had a couple of the guys play a little bit better we would have been second. Last year we won that tournament.”

The golf course at Oakmont Country Club consists of 18 holes and because of this, the tournament last Monday had a “shotgun” start, a format in which the opposing teams “tee off” simultaneously from different holes. Considering that there were seven teams playing, each with six players, this was the fastest alternative.

“It’s a whole faster pace to play. It would have taken quite a long time otherwise,” said Park.

Park, who is back on the team this year after two long semesters off, said he feels good to be back.

“I didn’t play very well, but it feels good. It feels like I’m back home,” said Park who came in fifth place among GCC’s players and is already looking forward to the next game.

“I hope we play well on Monday. It’s one of our most important tournaments, The Conference Championships. We will play 36 holes,” said Park.

The tournament will be held in Soule Park at 11 a.m. in Ojai.

“Hopefully we can win and qualify for the Southern California Regionals,” said Osbourne.

Monica Terada
Monica Terada, Staff Writer
This is Monica's first semester as staff writer/cartoonist for the El Vaquero, she plans to transfer to a four year university and pursue a degree in film. Aside from her passion for writing, Monica loves making green juices in the morning and applying mud masks in her free time. Furthermore, quinoa and kale are very close to her heart. Although she is quite dissatisfied with her staff picture, she is pleased to be writing for the paper. She would like to dedicate all her articles and cartoons to a good friend in Brazil, Marcos.