Foundation Sponsors Golf Fundraiser

The ambitious goal is to raise as much as $100,000 for the campus when the Glendale College Foundation tees off for its 30th annual Golf Classic at the Oakmont Country club on June 11. The funds would be used for college needs as well as scholarships.

The classic began as an athletics department fundraiser run by directors and coaches, then in 1983 the college’s Foundation was created and adopted the event to benefit the school as a whole.

“It was one of my first projects when I came here in 1999 and I’m happy that it’s something we continue to do and do well,” said sports information director Alex Leon.
There are about 130 golfers signed up for the tournament so far and the foundation hopes to have as many as 144 golfers, which would be a full field.

This year tournament’s price packages will reflect the college’s 85th anniversary. There are many different spnsorship options, all of which have the number 85 worked into the price. For example, the registration fee for one golfer is $385.

Entering the tournament isn’t cheap; however, Oakmont is a private club that would otherwise require a membership to golf there.

“Oakmont is a great place to play. It’s so attractive because it’s a private club and most people never get to play there, so for one day a year they get to play on a private course,” said Leon.

BB&T Knight Insurance Services has been the grand sponsor of the event for two years and has recently signed on for another three.

“BB&T Knight Insurance Services is very proud of our long term relationship with Glendale Community College,” said BB&T president Manny Mashhoud.

Many Glendale College alumni and local sponsors continue enter the event annually.

“In this economy I think that says a lot about the people who support the event,” said Leon.

Participants have a shot at winning many tournament prizes. There will be four holes sponsored as “hole-in-one” holes, which offer prizes like a trip to Catalina Island, or a new car. These prizes will be awarded to any golfer who can accomplish the challenging task of sinking the ball on their first shot.

Sponsors can enter a putting contest before tee-time for a chance to win a new Kindle, and dinner will feature a live auction, as well as a raffle for an iPad 2.

Lunch by the pool, hors d’oeuvres and dinner will be offered to all those who enter the tournament, however a separate dinner-only package is offered for $85.

Tee-off is at 1 p.m. and will be a shotgun start.

Anyone interested in entering the tournament should contact the Foundation Office at (818) 551-5201.

John Ferrara
John Ferrara, Sports Editor
A once measly staff writer, I have risen to the ranks of El Vaquero sports editor.  As sports editor I hope to deliver unbiased, entertaining news to the students of GCC. If you need to contact me you can find me in the winners circle of this year's JACC competition.
Foundation Sponsors Golf Fundraiser