Fullerton Hornets Smashed by Vaqueros

Glendale’s men’s tennis team beat Fullerton College 9-0 on Feb. 15 at Glendale.

This was the Vaquero’s third win of the season. All three of Glendale’s wins were 9-0 shutouts.
It was a great day for tennis. In the middle of a rainy, windy week, Feb. 15 was surprisingly bright and warm.

The Vaqueros top two singles players Alex Sarkissian and Trevor Campbell played very well. They both won in straight sets.

Number one singles player Sarkissian used strong serves to beat his opponent 6-0, 6-0. The beginning of the match was slow, with both players missing first serves. Sarkissian began to hit first serves with consistency leading to an increase in confidence and a stranglehold on the match.

Sarkissian was able to rip forehands deep into the back court. His solid backhand strokes gave Fullerton’s Kevin Reifler nowhere to hit the ball.

“I had fun today,” said Sarkissian “The guy I played is from Switzerland. It’s good to play guys from Europe.”

Number two singles player Campbell won his match 6-0, 6-3. Campbell’s ability to tactically use spins helped him win his match. He hit looping shots to put his opponent Jason Nguyen off balance. “I won because was moving in and attacking.” Campbell is undefeated this season with a record number of winning matches, 7-0.

The one match that was not won in straight sets was the match between Glendale’s Stephan Mamann between and Fullerton’s Pablo Fajardo.
Fajardo took the first set 6-2. Mamann was resilient and continued to grind out points. He ended up winning the next two sets to take the match.

The Vaqueros four, five and six singles players all won in convincing fashion. Grayson Frazier won 6-1, 6-0 against Sam Ngo. Dro Maamoudi beat David Phan 6-2, 6-2. Andre Ratavousian finished his match against Ivan Cahuana with a score of 6-1, 6-1.

“We are a good team. When we are healthy; we are a very good team,” Coach Bob MacKay said. The Vaquero tennis team beat Santa Barbara City College 7-2 on Feb. 24. This brings the team’s record to 4-4. Glendale’s next match is on Thursday at Glendale against Pierce College.

Fullerton Hornets Smashed by Vaqueros