Women’s Basketball Team Loses Shootout

The Lady Vaqs basketball team started out the season by participating in the Vaquero Shootout last weekend. Unfortunately, they did not do well in the tournament.

On Friday, Irvine Valley beat Glendale by a score of 62-44. Coach Carrie Miller said, “We got hurt on the offensive floor and the other team capitalized on those opportunities.”

Glendale was scheduled to play against Palomar on Saturday, but the game was canceled due to several injuries on the Palomar squad. Glendale won the game by forfeit.

Sunday’s consolation game against the Ventura Pirates was fast-paced and exciting, but the Lady Vaqs lost 71-43. During the first half, The Vaqs and Ventura were evenly matched on the court, with Ventura leading by a score of 33-22.

Sophomore Chelsea Baquiero led The Vaqs with a team-high 16 points, including two rebounds and one blocked shot. Freshman, Michelle Eclar, had eight points, seven rebounds and two steals. Freshman guard, Alexandra Mancillas, had nine points and six rebounds.

Pirates forward Destinee LaFountain, scored six points. Guard Ariel Hale, scored six points and then missed two free throws after getting tripped by Glendale guard, Gabriela Silva. Forward Blake Hudson, had nine points and seven rebounds, and guard Rebecca Griffin, had 12 points and six assists.

“They’re learning, they’re growing, and they play hard,” Miller said. They’re not doing the little things. (The Pirates) have good defense. That hurt us again. It’s nothing we can’t clean up and improve on. Hopefully they’ll get it and it’ll snap,” Coach Miller said.

“We still have time to get things together and make some things happen. We have some potential on this team. Once they get the offense thing it’ll be fun to see what they’re capable of. The girls play hard, but it’s the little things. As long as we work on those, things will start coming together,” Coach Miller said.

Women’s Basketball Team Loses Shootout