Track and Field Off to a Running Start

Jonathon Alpizar could not stop smiling. Out of breath and walking around to regain feeling in his tired legs, he was still in disbelief.

The Vaqueros had just dominated the men’s 4,000-meter distance medley in the Western State Conference Relay event held at Ventura College Feb. 26.

Though the sun was shining at noon when the activities started, the clouds promised rain. This did not stop any of the athletes. Scattered around Ventura College’s stadium, runners stretched and warmed-up before competing in a series of track, field and relay events. The Glendale team placed third or higher in sixteen events.

Slideshow Media Credit: Richard Kontas

“I just went for it,” said Alpizar of the distance medley. “Coach Lopez said to go fast and I kept at it for the second lap.” With the help of Harold Tabora, Rico Gutierres and Francisco Quijada, Glendale came in first for the event, in 10 minutes, 24 seconds.

The Lady Vaqs did not disappoint either, coming in first as well in the women’s 4,000-meter distance medley. Brianna Jauregui, Samantha Bogatz, Rosa Del Toro and Nina Moore won the event, in 12:24.
The lone Lady Vaq in the javelin event, sophomore Shannon Azizi, had confidence in her performances in the future.

“I threw the javelin 98 feet 11.5 inches”. I didn’t get the penetration, but I got the height. But don’t worry; it’s coming,” she said. Azizi also competed in women’s 400-meter hurdles, finishing in second place.
Sophomore Christopher Santoyo competed in men’s pole vault, clearing 13 feet, 6 inches, placing fifth.

“I had some technical difficulties, like the pole didn’t extend,” he said. “I had a good run but felt I could’ve done better.”
Though the team performed well, most felt there was still room for improvement. Moore said, “I felt like I could’ve gotten better times [in the races].” She participated in the women’s 4×1600 relay and came in second place.

Glendale placed first in men’s 110 meter hurdles (Christopher Farmar, 15:33), women’s 800 sprint medley (Carissa Porter, Alin Jabourian, Samantha Bogatz, Melissa Sanchez, 1:34), women’s 4×800 relay (Caitlin Kelly, Marrissa Tessman, Laura Pleumer, Diana Sanchez, 8:05), men’s 4×800 relay (Neil Jones, Ricky Avila, Francis Herrera, Miguel Flores, 8:05), women’s 3,000 meter run (Karen Rosas, 10:32) and women’s high jump (Carissa Porter, 4-10).

The next event is the Northridge Relays on Saturday at 9 a.m. at CS Northridge.

Track and Field Off to a Running Start