Bakersfield College Punishes Vaqueros Basketball Team

The Vaqueros lost a lopsided game to the Bakersfield Renegades, 95-68, on Wednesday at the Verdugo Gym as Josh Guillory and Markus Monroe played their last home game for Glendale.

The Vaqs overall record droppped to 12-16 and 5-6 in the Western State Conference Division.

“We had an overall bad game.offensive rebounds were the reason they won,” said sophomore Monroe. He put in a solid effort with 12 points and three rebounds but it wasn’t enough to overcome the Renegade defense.

Bakersfield broke the first half open with a 15-2 run that was finally ended at the 4:05 mark. They came out with full-court pressure, a balanced offensive attack, and with 3:50 remaining in the first half they were up by 15.

At half time, the Renegades held a 20-point lead.

Glendale had a hard time putting the ball through the hoop as freshmen Peter Newell went 0-8 scoring his only point from the free throw line. The team shot an overall 36 percent from the field and 16 percent from the three-point line.

Glendale came out strong in the second half with improved defense and a better offensive attack, cutting the lead in half with guard Michael Cotton leading the charge. He ended up with 16 points.

Bakersfield ran away with the game mid-way through the second half as they continued their full court pressure. By the 4:30 mark, they had a 31-point lead as Glendale could not keep pace with them.

“We got outplayed, outrebounded,” said sophomore Guillory. He finished with nine points and nine rebounds.

Glendale head coach Brian Beauchemin received a technical foul for arguing an obvious no-call as one of his players was driving the lane and was taken out by a defender. “They just pounded us…we got bull-rushed,” he said.

Richard Kontas
Richard Kontas, Production Assistant
Production Manager; Former Editor-in-Chief and Action Sports Photographer.