Sports Teams End Fall Season With Ups and Downs

The Vaqueros cross country team ended with another successful season with the Lady Vaqueros coming in at second place, missing first spot by only three points at 86 to 84.

Both cross country teams brought their season to a close at the state championship meet at Woodward Park in Fresno with a pair of top-10 finishes. The men’s team finished seventh overall behind meet winner San Bernardino.

Katie Dunn was the top finisher for the women over the 3.1 mile course in fifth place in 18:15 to help the Lady Vaqs secure their fourth straight top three finish in state. Justina Sadauskaite finished ninth with 18:34, Brigette Fernandez was 22nd with 18:57 and Rosa Del Toro was 28th with 19:03.

On the men’s side, Nathan Sellers finished ninth overall in the 4-mile course with a time of 20:31.

Dunn was named Western State Conference Female Athlete of the Year. Eddie Lopez was named Women’s Coach of the year at the conference meeting held at Ventura College. Dunn was joined by Sadauskaite, Fernandez, Del Toro, Angelina Gonzales, and Kristine Kaneich on the All-WSC first team for the women’s team.

Second team choices for the women were Reyna Samiengo and Lidia Ferman.

Nathan Sellers was named to the All-WSC first team for the men and was joined by Jonathan Alpizar, Francisco Quijado, Adrian Anderson and Manuel Blanco.

Second team choice for the men’s was Francisco Herrera while Steven Carillo as named honorable mention.

Sellers joined Dunn, Sadauskaite, Fernandez and Del Toro in earning All-American honors based on their finishes in the state meet.

The Vaquero football team finished the season with a disappointing at 3-7.

Offensive tackle Nick Sabatella led the list of six Vaqueros to earn All-Northern Conference honors. Sabatella was named to the All-Conference first team while offensive guard Marc Valdez was named to the second team with Nick Bryant as the all-purpose second team recipient.

Defensive end Michael Klintworth and cornerback James Antaplyan were named to the second team on defense. Josh Stangby was named to the second team as a return specialist.

The men’s soccer team finished the season 10-10-3 overall and 7-5-2 in Western State Conference play.

Six Vaqueros were named to the all-conference team. Named to the All-Western State Conference first team were Geoffrey Pogue and Juan Castro. Second-team choices were Nelson Bustillos and Aldo Gonzales. Nelson Andrades and Hans Cabrera were named honorable mention.

The Lady Vaqs soccer team finished 8-9-5 overall and 5-6-3 in Western State Conference play.

Evelyn Herrarte and Monica Rosales were named All-WSC first team. Jazmine Aguirre and Jennifer O’Neil earned All-WSC second team honors. Sonia Ibarra, Yasmeen Karom, Natalie Diaz and Elena Torres received honorable mentions.

The Lady Vaqs volleyball team ended its season at 9-13 overall and 408 in Western State Conference play.

Aya Nakano was named to the All-WSC first team. She has led every single game in kills this season, proving to be a true offensive machine. Nicole Diller and Carissa Mathijssen were named to the second team while Isabelle Carter and Ashleigh Diller were named honorable mention.