Lady Vaqs Stumble at Home Against Ventura

The Vaqueros women’s tennis teamed hosted undefeated Ventura College Tuesday, hoping to improve their conference record but came up empty-handed falling 8-1 in a Western State Conference game.

Ventura was in control of the most of the contest, dominating Glendale on both the singles and doubles matches.

Glendale (2-3 in WSC) lost every doubles match. Glendale’s Maria Bagafora and Jennifer Chung lost to VC’s Ally Limon and Maria Sanchez 8-1. Mikyuki Yokozuka and Sonia Rodriquez likewise faced similar defeat losing their doubles match 8-1. Glendale’s Nancy Bogado and Zaria Rojas match against Ventura’s Carly Van Riper and Rachel Culbert was closely contest, but Glendale eventually fell 8-6.

“[We] knew Ventura was undefeated and was going to be a tough match,” said Coach Terry Coblentz.

“Our girls had their work cut out for them.”
Glendale was also unsuccessful in their singles matches. Bagafora lost to Ventura’s Ally Limon in two sets, losing 1-6 and 1-6. Yokozuka also lost her match against Michelle Gray, 0-6, 1-6. Chung won her first set 6-4 against VC’s Andrea Collomb, but then lost the next two sets 4-6.
Rodriguez gave Glendale their sole win, sweeping Van Riper 6-3, 6-0. Bogado won her opening set before losing the next two, and losing the match. Rojas was swept by Culbert.

Glendale hopes to have better success when they host Bakersfield College in the opening game of the second.

“I’d like to say I want to win every match,” said Coblentz, “But I don’t want to put pressure on the kids, because I’m not sure that’s a realistic situation.”