RAMTIN JAMSHIDI

Glendale College Sports Round Up

FOOTBALL

Just when the game seemed out of the Vaqueros’ hands Saturday, they rallied in the second half against a 4-2 Ventura squad but failed to come up with a two-point conversion and lost the game 30-28.

Glendale now 1-5, trailed 23-0 at halftime but a spark created a 21-point fourth quarter rally that put the Vaqueros in a position to tie the game with 1:37 left. The two-point conversion failed. Dustin Nersesyan had 14 unassisted tackles and Josh Martin put in four solo tackles and five assisted tackles.

Tommy Riley caught four passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns including a 73-yard kick return for 212 all-purpose yards. David Parker completed five of 11 passes for 147 yards and two scores and Justin Tyler rushed for 52 yards on 11 carriesGlendale goes for its second win of the season against Harbor College Saturday at 1 p.m. at Glendale High’s Moyse Field.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

The women’s soccer team seems to be affected by the sudden heat lately with a scoring drought last week tying both games 0-0. The Vaqueros are now 3-3-5 overall and 2-3-4 in the Western State Championships games.

The first game on Oct. 14 against Citrus was scoreless and the same results ensued Oct 17 against Bakersfield. Glendale hosts College of the Canyons today at 4 p.m. at the Glendale Sports Complex in hopes of ending the scoring drought.

MEN’S SOCCER

Glendale’s men’s soccer team is continuing to take care of business this season, winning both games last week, and improving their record to 8-2-3 overall and 7-1-2 in WSC. Glendale has won four of its last five games and seems to be clicking better than ever. The Vaqueros shut out Citrus with a 2-0 win on Oct. 14. They added another win to the column beating Bakersfield 3-2 Oct. 17.

The team had a bye Tuesday and heads off to Taft today to play at 4 p.m.

CROSS COUNTRY

The Glendale men ran to their fifth consecutive win Oct. 10 at the first Western State Conference meet at Allan Hancock. The women placed second with 79 points, behind Ventura’s first-place finish with 57 points.

Bakersfield placed third with 88 points. The men finished with 48 points, which was 25 better than the second place finisher Moorpark.

Chris Snyder finished third in 21:21.9 overall for the men. Omar Limon was sixth in 21:41.9, Humberto Espino was eighth in 21:50.0, Raymundo Vazquez was 14th in 22:07.6 and Patrick O’Neil was 17th in 22:14.6.

The women were lead by Pilar Delgado who took first place in 19:10.4 in her fourth win of the season. Itzel Vargas was fourth in 19:20.5, Sandra Prado was sixth in 19:59.8, Julia Flores was 24th in 21:40.3 and Debra Berlin was 44th in 22:14.6.

The Glendale men’s track team’s five race win streak was broken Oct. 17 at the Mt. SAC Invitational and the women came in eighth place in their race.

The women finished with a total of 206 points, Orange Coast came in first with 51 points. The men’s portion was won by Rancho Santiago, which won with 103 points, and Orange Coast placed second with 105 points.

“We got this out of our system (the 3rd place finish),” coach Eddie Lopez said. “It humbled us so now we can get on with running.”

The team heads to Pierce on Oct. 31 to compete in the Western Conference State Finals at 3 p.m.

Glendale College Sports Round Up