PETER KIM

Women’s Tennis Ace Up Victory; Defeat Moorpark

The Vaqueros came back from a four game losing streak to win 7-2 against Moorpark College last Thursday. They will play Cuesta College next Tuesday at home at 2 p.m.

The women played completely as a team to end the first round of competition in league with a 2-4 overall record.

Despite the many rainouts in the beginning of the season, the team has kept composure and found themselves in the heart of the competition.

“Tennis is a full on mental game,” said first year athlete Cindy Gomez. “If you don’t learn to keep your composure, then your opponents will always get the best of you.”

Gomez, being the strongest player on the team, continually fights hard in every match bringing home wins against top ranked players in the league.

To begin the second round of competition in league, the team lost against Bakersfield College, 4-5, and Allan Hancock College, 1-8.

The win against Moorpark brought the team back on track to give them a 1-2 record in the second round.

Against Moorpark, Gomez defeated laura Albright, 6-2, 6-1. Natasha Badkoubei also demolished her competition with wins of 6-1 and 6-2.
Felicia Masto, Alicen Ostash, and Emily Halladay won their matches to give five wins in singles.

In doubles, Alicen Ostash and Emily Halladay won their match by default and Gomez and Masto won their match against Albright and Jenny Maddox with a 8-4 win in a pro set match.

With this win the team relinquish their losing streak.

The team scored a 3-6 overall record in competition thus far.

Although the team has not been winning as many games as they hoped coach Terry Coblentz said that “The team is not as experienced as some of the other teams in our league.”

Despite the inexperience, Coblentz feels that the team will do better because of their closeness as a team.

“The team is very close knit.”

Gomez also added by saying, “I love my coach and teammates; they’re my family.”

The team will play Cuesta College next Tuesday for the second time.
In their last meeting the Vaqueros lost 4-5, but hopes are high for a win in their next confrontation.