PETER KIM

Undeterred by Rain, Men’s Tennis Team

Men’s tennis team is 3-1 and off to a strong start for this season despite the rain and the change in coaching staff for their team. They lost in their recent match against Ventura College 2-7, a highly ranked team in the division. The squad will compete against L.A. Pierce College at 2 p.m.

Although their transition of coaches hindered the team by disallowing their competition in the off season, the team is fired up and ready to smash their opponents this season. Despite the transition, the team has shown enthusiasm and strength in their first matches of the season.

With wins against Bakersfield 5-4, Marymount 6-3, and Southwestern 7-2, under their belts, the Vaqueros went into battle against Santa Barbara only to be rained out after 3 matches were played. In their match against Ventura, the team fought hard despite two injuries on the team. Shara Surabi won his match against Chris Worthington 6-1, 3-6, 6-0, in singles. Surabi also came back in doubles with Hasani Simmons to defeat Sean McCullough and Sean Callaghan.

Coach Bob Mackay stated that Ventura was just a good team. “They were a deep team with a lot of skill,” he said, “We’ll get them next time.”
With weather conditions constantly forecasting rain, the team seems to be having a tougher fight against the weather than their opponents on the court. The squad was forced to take a break due to the rain on Feb. 25 on a scheduled match against Citrus.

Already having two games previously rained out on Feb. 11, scheduled against Allan Hancock, and Feb. 13, scheduled against Pierce, the team has yet to reveal their full potential as a team and as competitors in the Western State Conference.

Mackay is enthusiastic about the ability of this season’s team, “The team is really close net,” said Mackay, “They’re all good friends.”
Mackay expects success from this team despite a slight deficit in experience this season, which will be made up through the depth of the team. “This team has a lot of depth,” Mackay said.

Competing against teams like Ventura and Bakersfield who have been strong competitors in the past, the Vaqueros have a tough season ahead of them.

Being the first time they play Pierce, the team is uncertain of the skill level of their opponents, yet they are ready for another duel and enthusiastic for the victory.

Undeterred by Rain, Men’s Tennis Team