After Unremarkable Start, Softball Regroups

The women’s softball team improved its overall record to 4-7 Wednesday with a win over Citrus College.

The team entered the final inning down by a run, but managed to battle back, capitalizing on opponents’ errors and coming out on top, 9-8.
The inning started with second baseman Bernise Sandoval getting hit by a pitch, and she scored from first on Kristin Carr’s smash double to center.

Jennifer Gonzalez became a pinch runner for Carr, and scored the game-winning run after shortshop Natalie Stark reached on an error.

“Our hitting is starting to come through, and that shows the quality of the girls we have out here, “says Coach Dave Wilder.

The team, who lost four key players, including all of their starting pitchers at the beginning of the season, has managed to adjust and come together as a team, said Wilder.

“It’s hard to lose four players…they’ve done a good job,” he said.
Wilder’s assistant coach, Brett Vorster, has served as a pitching and outfield coach.

He has been working with pitchers Evelyn Gomez and Carr, who have never pitched before this season, but has been impressed with their performance thus far.

Playing instrumental roles in the team’s success are centerfielder Lindsey Mead and third baseman Mo Gomez, a transfer from Valley College.

They are both hitting extremely well, with Mead claiming the third spot in the batting rotation, and Gomez as cleanup, hitting over .350.

Also adding to the team are catcher Miki Mayorga, whose defense Wilder has seen improve, and outfielder Karen Regalado and Melissa Grabowski. Regalado returns for a second year after making the second string All-Western conference, hitting .398 last year.

The team, having played through these hardships, seems optimistic and ready to start league play next week.

“We started off rough, but as time has gone on, we’re working more as a team and winning more games, “said Mo Gomez.

Coach Wilder hopes his team will continue to improve and puts much faith in the team’s pace to carry them through the competitive WSC Gold conference.

“I am a coach that believes in speed,” Wilder said. Without it, you don’t get things done, and we are a team with a lot of speed.”