EDDIE ALVAREZ

Women’s Basketball Fights Back; Makes Tournament Finals

Despite giving the Pirates of Ventura College an early 12-point lead, women’s basketball fought its way back in the Vaquero Shoot-Out, the three-day tournament took place the weekend of Nov. 15.
With a two-point deficit going into the second half, the Vaqueros were poised to upset Ventura College the number 1 team in the state.

Right off the bat GCC attacked at the basket relentlessly, but shots did not fall for the Vaqueros.

Four minutes into the game they failed to make a bucket. Ventura took full advantage of the drought scoring 12 points. After GCC capitalized on Pirate turnovers, momentum was wearing the colors of the Vaqueros.

Fans were hoping to see a repeat of Saturday night when GCC pounded on Modesto College for more than 60 points and guard Danielle Johnson shot the lights out for 21 points.

After GCC tied the score with five minutes left in the first half, both teams did not give an inch on either side of the court.

Turning the ball over hurt the Vaqueros throughout the game and it hit them hard at the end of the first half when they turned the ball over on what could have been a drive to give them the lead at halftime.
The last second score gave Ventura a two-point lead going into the second half.

That’s as close as the Vaqueros would get. The Pirates came out shooting and as the case in the first minutes of the games, Glendale was not responding.

After only being down by 2, GCC was down by 19 only eight minutes into the second half.

Glendale could not get back into it the game. Led by the tournament MVP Leshelle Sargent, the Pirates beat GCC 76-56.

Despite losing, coach Dyan Miller is happy about the trams first trip to the shoot-out finals. ” We played very well and shot the ball well.” Miller said about Sunday’s loss to Ventura.

“Our team knows that we can go toe-to-toe with the best team in the state and we are hoping that we see them later in the season with us coming out on top.”

The next game for women’s basketball is today against Cuyamaca College in El Cajon at 4 p.m.