EDDIE ALVAREZ

Football Falls Short, Looks to Late Season Wins

The Vaqueros fell Saturday night to the Pirates of Ventura College 37-14. Once again the team relied on its running game to attack the offense, but fell short with critical dropped passes that kept the game close for the Vaqueros.

Kartrell Clayton ran for 114 yards and Willie Latham ran for 67 yards on 11 carries giving them 181 yards between them.

The shift was in the second quarter when two Vaqueros were ejected for fighting, which was apparently in retaliation to cheap shots that were taken by the Pirates that were unseen by officials.

“I agreed that my players should have been ejected, but I know that Ventura had taken cheap shots against our players,” said head coach John Cicuto.

Shawn Southern and Rainest Crawford will now sit out the mandated one game for the ejections.

The Vaqueros kept the game close the in first half, but a poor showing by the Special teams unit it kept out the game out of reach. “We played really hard,” said Cicuto, “but no one can win Football games if you give up 21 points by your special teams.”

The Vaqueros now look to salvage the season with a few late season wins.

They will need to win their remaining three games of the season to finish the season win .500 winning percentage.

“If we can win the last few games of the season we can go to Moorpark and play the role of the spoilers in the season finale,” said Cicuto.

The Vaqueros close up there 2002 home schedule against 3-5 Santa Barbara City College. Cicuto said that the Santa Barbara is hungry and are trying to finish with a good record.

The game will be hosted at Glendale High’s Moyse Field at 1pm.