Roderick Daniels

Third-Inning Rally Lifts GCC Over Pierce

After a four-run flurry in the third inning, GCC downshifted and glided to a 7-2 win over Los Angeles Pierce College at Stengel Field on Tuesday.

The Vaqueros managed only three hits for the rest of the game following their third-inning rally.

“We had a chance to put them away early,” said head coach Jon Strauss, “and we kind of cruise controlled the rest of the game, and you can’t do that at this level.”

GCC pitcher Eddie Camacho, who gave up one earned run during the conference game, didn’t exactly cruise but said he was feeling off his game.

“When I first stepped on the mound, I didn’t fell too good because I didn’t throw bullpen during the week,” Camacho said. “Today, I just threw strikes, and my defense played well behind me.”

The defense for Glendale (12-5, 2-1) turned three double plays, threw out two runners trying to steal and a runner at home.

Camacho went eight innings, giving up seven hits and striking out four. He improved his record to 3-1.

“Eddie competed for us,” head coach Jon Strauss said. “His stuff wasn’t very good, and I’m sure he’ll even admit to that, but he had a different week and didn’t get what he is used to as a starting pitcher.”

Glendale put the game away in its half of the third inning. Down 1-0, Pierce third baseman Alex Avlas was unable to field a ground ball off the bat of Juan Ramirez. The error by Avlas, which would have ended the inning, allowed Andrew Peterson to score and led to a three-run home run by Evan Shakak. Glendale added another run in the fifth inning when Ramirez stole third base and scored on the error by Pierce catcher Tony Cicero.

“We came out wanting to win,” Shahak said. “We just saw a chance and capitalized on it.”
Pierce (9-8, 1-2) scored its two runs in the sixth inning when Randy Curtis grounded into a fielder’s choice that scored Mike Nesbit, and Andre Monroe scored on an under throw by the second baseman Ramirez that first baseman Fernando Valenzuela Jr. wasn’t able to come up with.

Pierce had a chance to get another run that inning on Cicero’s double, but Curtis was thrown out at home plate with a perfect relay from leftfielder Chris Keeran, to shortstop Al Quintana to catcher Shakak.

The Bulls had an opportunity in the fourth inning to score when Camacho threw back-to-back walks to Monroe and David Johnson. With Curtis facing a full count, Camacho spun around mid-pitch and threw out Monroe, who was attempting to steal. Camacho then walked Curtis and got Cicero to ground out to Ramirez.

“We came out and scored some runs, but my big concern is that we didn’t really put this team away,” Strauss said.