Roderick Daniels
El Vaquero Staff Writer
" />

Inexperienced Team Falls Short Against Santa Monica

The Glendale College Volleyball team fell to 0-16 for the season with a 20-30, 22-30, 25-30 loss to Santa Monica College on Tuesday.

“I was disappointed in how they played,” first-year head coach Aimee Peinado said. “They could have played a lot better.”

Even though they are winless for the season, this is basically a whole new team. Along with having a first-year coach, each member is in her first year of playing volleyball here at GCC.

“This is a learning year for us,” Peinado said. “But, they are gaining a year of experience.”
For every team, there is going to be one thing that will bring the team closer together, and for them, that happened when two wins were taken away due to an ineligible player.

“We’ve been very unlucky this year,” Peinado said. “The girls have been trying hard all year long.”
With each game, the team is improving vastly. They are in a conference with teams that are ranked in the top 20 in the state,

“If you were to see us play at the beginning of the year, and see us play now, you would see a totally different team,” Peinado said. “The girls have put their heart and soul into this team.”

Despite the no-win season, Glendale has three members who have been recognized in conference. Joy Pereya is the top digger in the conference with 87 digs, and Joanna Stefenak is third in the conference in digs. Setter Susana Rodriguez is ranked eighth in the conference in assists.