Social Networking Technology Delivers News Faster to Youth Market

Less than a minute.

That’s all it takes to whip out an iPhone, search a question on Google, and come up with an answer.

“Depending on the Wi-Fi, a page on the [2nd Generation] iTouch can load within a good 10 seconds,” said Luigi Santos, a physical therapy major. “Anything more than minute and it feels like it’s taking forever.”
Because today’s generation is hip and up-to-date with the latest technology, even with just a cell phone connected to mobile Web browsing, one is able to access the great power of connection in just the palm of his or her hands.

A recent study by Pew Internet, a project of the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, “The Internet is now the third most popular news platform, behind local television news and national television news.”

Most Americans receive the news from multiple platforms, like television, radio and newspapers.

But since this generation is so closely connected via online, social networking sites and e-mail are the two most popular ways to forward news.

Students at Glendale College have instant access to the Internet, from the computer labs to the computers in the library to simply having mobile web browsing on their cell phones. Half of the computers in the library are taken by students browsing Facebook or YouTube.

Now this may seem like these people are lazy or don’t care about education, but when connected to networking sites, the news is able to spread quickly among friends.

For example, the Kanye-Swift Internet phenomenon was born within seconds after the incident happened at the MTV Music Awards.

Sites blew up with Photoshopped pictures of Kanye and text reading, “Yo, I’m happy for you and I’m going to let you finish.”
Others include a banana singing “Peanut Butter Jelly Time,” the ORLY owl and getting “Rick rolled.”

Yes, it is the youth’s responsibility that these ridiculous Internet memes have been reposted on Tumblr one too many times.

According to Philip Defranco, creator and star of well-known YouTube videolog “The Philip de Franco Show,” which averages about 1.2 million views per episode, 4.35 million people streamed the earthquake and tsunami in Hawaii via Ustream.com on Feb. 28 after reading reports about the earthquakes in Chile and Haiti.

Because of advanced technology today and the fact that the society can connect to the Internet almost everyday, people were able to tweet, vlog YouTube videos, repost on Facebook and forward e-mails to other people to inform them instantly.

People connected to networks tweeted, reposted links and status-updated about charities and how to help victims of the devastation.

The way people consume the media is changing. What couldn’t have been fathomed 20 years ago is now considered a staple of society.