ASGCC Contemplates Funding for AB 540 Students, Final Decision Hangs in Balance Until Next Week

On Tuesday, the Associated Students of Glendale Community College (ASGCC) considered a request for $3000 to fund a project that could possibly benefit AB 540 students.

Greg Perkins, Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS) counselor, was present at the meeting to explain the purpose behind the request, the potential impact it can have on these students, as well the impact it can have on the campus.

“AB 540 students are one of the faster growing sources of enrollment for the college,” said Perkins. “The number of AB 540 students at the college increase somewhere between 20 and 25 percent each year.”

Perkins believes that there is a perception that a college like GCC is friendly to AB 540 students in comparission to other colleges that turn away undocumented students due to their immigration status.

“One of the differences of this scholarship is that we reach out to the communities, to the high schools, and provide some kind of funding as they’re coming into the college,” said Perkins.
Currently there are over 250 AB 540 students on campus that do not receive any financial assistance from the college.

Perkins encouraged ASGCC to recognize approval “as the right thing to do” since the legislature considers it as so.

“It’s one thing to start here, but a lot of these students are in so much pressure they can’t come back for a second semester,” he said. “This provides them a little support so they can come back.”
ASGCC member Carolina Yernazian spoke on behalf of the request.
“Maybe people see it [AB 540] as if it stands in the same place of other scholarships, I disagree with that,” said Yernazian.
A final decision was not reached and the members of the ASGCC decided to table a motion until the next meeting when an agreement can be reached.

Member Karla Mercado reminded fellow ASGCC members of their purpose.

“Isn’t that what we are here to do, to help students,” asked Mercado. “Last time I checked, each of us represent 500 students and what better way to represent them than to help those who need help.”

ASGCC have so many dollars that they can provide.
Paul Schlosmann, Dean of Student Affairs, reminded them to take notice of such fact.

“You have to remember, the bottom line is, there is only so much money,” said Schlosmann. “You’re going to have to take it from somewhere and we can’t go over the budget.”