MICHAEL ALPERT

ASGCC Contemplates Block Scheduling Vote

The Associated Students of Glendale Community College (ASGCC) debated the issue of block scheduling Tuesday, and whether or not it should come into effect when voted on.

Block scheduling is a form of academic scheduling where students have fewer class per day for a longer period of time.

“It would be more user friendly,” said Armineh Dereghishian.
The one hour classes will all be an hour and a half and most students will only come two days a week and can be done with their school day by noon if they start classes at 6:30 a.m. There will be more classes starting at this time.

“With block scheduling we can have our noon hour activity time five days a week,” said Dereghishian.

The block scheduling proposition may come into effect because of possible state regulations not being followed by GCC.

“The district needs to change its timing for classes,” said Thomas Dryden, Vice President of Administration. “ASGCC will vote on the block plan in the next couple of weeks. It will then be passed on to the Board of Trustees to vote on by the end of 2006.”

“Last time block scheduling was brought up, ASGCC [officers] were against it and it wasn’t implemented,” said Dryden.

In addition, the talent show was cancelled because of the rain and has not been rescheduled.

Upcoming events include the IOC Olympics, which will take place from April 11 to 13, and Dr. John Davitt’s retirement party at the Universal Sheraton on May 13. Tickets are $100.