Student Research Symposium Returns for Second Year

Symposium+flyer

Students still have the chance to sign up to present their academic work at the second annual Student Research Symposium until April 25. The event itself will take place on May 13 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Sierra Vista 130. 

This opportunity allows students from across disciplines to highlight their own research and exemplary work from current or previous semesters, according to the event’s organizers. These forms of presentation can include research written about in an essay, sharing any printed or digital art, or other major topic assignments from classes. Participants will also have the option of different kinds of mediums to present their topic. Whether that is by oral (speech or reading), visual, PowerPoint, posters, or any means they like, as the committee explained. After participating in this event, students will be able to highlight it on a resume or transfer application. 

“The inaugural event started back in 2023, thanks to a Senate Innovation Grant that I applied for at the urging of English Division chair Sarah McLemore,” explained Dr. Reut Cohen Schorr, a journalism professor with GCC’s Language Arts division. She followed up by stating that the event is in year two and the purpose of the event is to promote research and work of GCC students across disciplines. The symposium also serves as an opportunity for them to network with one another. 

When reflecting on last year’s symposium, she saw that student presenters took pride in their work, stating that this was “incredible to see.” Students were able to gain public speaking experience, network with one another, and participate in a college seminar, she said. 

El Vaquero asked Dr. Cohen for any words of encouragement. “This will be the most welcoming environment to present work,” she said. “I would encourage students to understand that the committee is here to support them, and to cheer them on.” 

Interested students who would like to present can fill out the following form by April 25 https://bit.ly/GCCSymposium2024. Students also can reach out to the organizing committee for guidance.

For more information about this program visit:

https://www.glendale.edu/academics/academic-divisions/english/symposium-program

For further inquiries about this event contact:

Instructor of Journalism Dr. Reut Coehn Schorr can be reached at [email protected] 

English Director Division Sarah McLemore can be reached at [email protected] 

Kylo Tenuta can be reached at [email protected].