GCC’s Filipino Community Shines

With highly populated Filipino areas surrounding the city of Glendale, students at Glendale Community College find their own sense of togetherness through the Filipino American Student Association, or FASA for short.

“The club runs on Bayanihan – the Filipino value of shared community effort,” said Professor Mike Dulay, advisor of FASA, in an interview. Having a sense of their ethnic heritage in a club allows Filipino students to be represented and come together to celebrate their culture. Throughout the 2023 fall semester at GCC, FASA had over 15 club events that created a special bond for Filipino students. These events included karaoke nights, Parol making (a Filipino Christmas tradition), and a field trip to tour UCLA’s campus and connect with UCLA’s own Filipino club called SPACE. Then transitioning into the 2024 spring semester, FASA has over 30 events planned, including friendship games, mabuhay Monday fundraisers, and participating in GCC’s Asian night market. 

Many Filipino students and faculty members on campus are proud to be represented in a place where many may feel underrepresented. This changes the students’ outlook on their time here at GCC and the relationships that they build. “With GCC having FASA, I have people to connect with … making going to school more fun,” said Noel Balacuit, a psychology and music major at GCC. Balacuit has grown up in Glendale all his life, and it wasn’t until coming to GCC and connecting with Filipino students on campus that he felt the excitement of coming to school every day.

The effects of representation at school take a positive toll on the Filipino students of GCC. Not only has it affected the students, but the faculty as well. Kevin Dimatulac, a counselor in the student equity office, is one of many of those faculty members. “It means everything for our community and makes me happy. There is a vibe only Filipinos can get,” said Dimatulac. For him, while growing up, there was never a club on campus that represented Filipinos. If there was, he explained, he “would have felt more pride and more represented.” The same goes for Professor Dulay, who was born in Manila, Philippines and has, “long hoped we would more purposefully build bridges inviting Filipino American students to our campus.” 

Representation on a school campus makes a difference in the whole academic experience. Not only that, but for many students, it can feel like home. Pauline Cipriano, President of FASA or more commonly known as Ate Pau throughout the club, feels closer to home because of the connections she has made. During her first year at GCC, she didn’t have very many friends, especially since most of her classes were online. However, with the uprising of FASA, Cipriano has been able to create friendships that feel more like family. Many Filipino students can agree with that statement. “I feel I have been connected with other Filipino students unlike ever before,” said Makaoto Monasterio, a journalism student at GCC.

The bond that these students and faculty share is so important to their college experience. They feel represented and at home in an academic environment. With all the challenges that college can bring, having a place on campus that feels safe results in Filipino students’ ability to take on every day with confidence.

Students can follow FASA on Instagram: @gcc.fasa

If they have any questions regarding the club, they can contact FASA’s advisory Professor Mike Dulay at: mdulay@glendale.edu.

Keilani Pak can be reached at [email protected]